Seat recline mechanism failure?

BX Tech talk
paulwitchard
BXpert

Seat recline mechanism failure?

Post by paulwitchard »

Have just got new to me BX TZD estate home - see the day I went to Nyland etc on BX chat thread - but seat recline mechanism on both front seats seems to have failed.
Managed to get the passenger seat more upright by winding the bar at the base of the backrest with a mole wrench but this hardly seems to be the solution. Cannot work out what the bar is attached to and the absence of Haynes manual (if its any use on this point) not helping either.
Sure some brain out there will know how to sort it. :D
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

BAR? There's usually a substantial plastic disc with indents for your fingers which is used to alter the seatback position. Sounds as if yours may have gone awol.

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

There is a disc about 50mm across - 1 each side, but I used the bar running between them to alter the seat, but could not work out what it was actually moving.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Quick get a handbook! :D

The knobs each side f the seats control tilt and back position. The bar merely slides the seat (which is sometimes very stiff) backwards and forwards. Mole wrench? :shock:

If one seat's mech is packed up it's unlikely the other would've too.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

BX19 handbook http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/Web/BX19Handbook.pdf

There are two 10cm diameter knobs at either side of the front of the seat. One for height and one for tilt.

It does seem a bit odd that all four knobs have disappeared
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Unless all 4 knobs have fallen off on the return journey, this isn't the problem. They were all there at the beginning of the journey!

I think the issue with the passenger side seat is the tiny little toothed belt that goes from the recline dial at the front of the seat to the shaft at the back of the seat. If you leaned very hard back into the passenger seat it would slip sometimes and recline. Never did investigate why, but it sounds/felt like something toothed slipping.

The base of the seat simply lifts out on a BX.. this reveals the mechanism, and may reveal the problem.
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I should have some spares if needed...and can provide piccies of a 'naked' seat if you want some!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Maybe I have not made myself very clear, all the knobs are there, but the recline (but not the height mechanisms) seem to have stopped working.
I took the bottom of the seats out, and used the mole wrench on the bar that runs across the back of the seat at the rear to adjust the passenger one. What I could not work out was what the recline knob, and the belt were supposed to be turning as they both seemed to be stuck.
Will investigate further and report back.
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

I have had another poke about under the passenger seat and managed to get the recline mechanism to move - albeit reluctantly (think I'll have to find the WD40), but it does not seem to move very far. I thought it might go flat - so that I could kip on it when I bought the car home - but it only moves through about 30 degrees or so - is this correct?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I think thats about it, they dont go all the way down.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Mmmm! I can think of a few things like that! Better not go there methinks.
Anyway thanks for the info.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've taken apart a number of BX seats in my time: the recline mechanism is actuated, as all have said, by a knurled plastic dial to one side of the front seat. It engages on a toothed rubber belt via a white plastic cog to another cog which is clipped in place over the bar at the apex of the seat. The bar, held in place by a couple of flat springs (bent bars either side), then engages in the toothed recesses on each side of the metal frame of the the seat back. The up'n'down dial e other side of the seat front uses a much shorter belt. PM me if help needed.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.