ignition switch?

BX Tech talk
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

ignition switch?

Post by Andy G »

how hard is it to replace an ignition switch?

Mine is very hard to get the key in, in fact it took 20mins to get it to 'suddenly' slide in to allow me to come home.

I imagine the tumblers are stuck or worn but despite a good dossing of WD40 it still refuses to allow the key in?

Any help or advice welcome.

Thanks

AG
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi I've not encountered a a problem with the switch before - in fact that's a replacement one. There are two keys - (one's for the filler cap)... and the ingnition key has a younger brother which isn't worn... So (please don't take this the wrong way) are you sure you are using the right key? If so try using the smoother, worn one.

I honestly can't imagine that it's gone ping at this stage...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

well I've tried both keys and it would appear that part of the original key is now missing (end piece) and as now the other will not go in far enough I take it that the part is still in the switch, so I'll need another I think?

Are they an easy install?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I still had all my fingers after we shook hands. But the end of the key broke off? :shock:
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

yeah, the end is off, had another look just a minute ago and it would appear to be way down the barrell? :(

tried with a fine pick to remove it but no joy, the switch was very tight before hand, but suddenly the key went in, but it must have broken off when I removed it (again very tight to remove).

So back to the Alfa till I get another barrell
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I am surprised. And also my sympathies to you - if I felt the switch was stiff I'd have either mentioned it or more likely had it changed. :roll:

Having said that my chap did the switch in a short amount of time last time (the original switch developed an electrical fault) and so long as you get a good replacement (I predict a post in the Wanted section) I can't think it's a big deal.
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

I shall do that now Phil thanks. pm sent.
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

OK on an link kindly given by another, I've invested in a new switch. Should be here in a few days so hopefully I'll have it fitted in a short time and that will be that!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I changed the switch on our ZX 1.9D the other day. The original had a flat key and was a Simplex - the replacement was a Valeo with a splined key - like the replacement lock on my BX.

The job on the ZX was complicated by an after-market immobiliser someone had fitted - and for which I had no instructions so I was rather tentative as I had little idea what wiring was affected - in fact it had been fitted into the leads on the switch only and left the rest almost undisturbed.

The removal was as set out in the Haynes ZX manual. I'd wondered about swapping barrels to keep the original key but this was impossible due to the different makes.

The locking catches on these things release with the key in a certain position. Haynes instructions were for the Simplex - the Valeo released in a different position. It also had a different locking mechanism which is fitted at the bottom which caused some head scratching - but in fact the car fitting had sockets for both. Fortunately I have a right-angled gear driven screwdriver which I had to use to fit the new screw to lock it in place. (It didn't seem possible to get a straight on onto it - but may have been possible with some more dismantling.)
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

problem I have is the end of the key is now in the barrel and the lock doesn't turn so not sure how I am going to get the lock to turn to its required position that will allow easy removal of the barrel itself. Removal (according to the haynes) appears simple if this could be one.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

. . . . . Interesting
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

yes, I thought so!

If the key won't come out (its only the tip) I may have to resort to the screwdriver method!! :shock:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The key is needed in the lock to allow a small plunger to retract, thus enabling the lock assembly to slide out of the steering column, a hammer and punch has the same effect if you are replacing the lock.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Can't you push the broken key in and push the fragment in further? Might that work?
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

the key won't even go past the first 5mm. Thats the problem but I shall try pushing it in further, if not I'll punch it out with a screw driver of sorts.