Pipes

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Pipes

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have a question (or two). When did plastic coated pipes come in? (my understanding is 1990 with the - confusingly - 1991 model range, which also included smoked rear lights on all hatchbacks and the black chin spoiler on the TZD Turbo and TZi/GTi's).

Is it possible to change the older pipes on, say, a 1989 car with the plastic coated ones or is this a waste of time (and too expensive)?

What ORGA number range differentiates the Phase 1 from Phase 2 Mk II BX?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

It was simply a change of material - new coated ones simply fit exactly as the uncoated ones did - and if you buy genuine Citroen the come pre-bent and go straight in (unless they are the rear ones which have to be threaded round the subframe.)

The old ones are fine till they rust! If they're good a coat of waxoil will prevent corrosion if you can get it on them!

Most cars will have had the front-rear pipes changed by now. My 89 car needed them in 2000 at about 170,000 miles.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

A lot of pipework is visible from under the bonnet, is that shiny and black? or is it a kind of galvanised grey colour?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

By far the easiest solution is to bin the steel pipes (coated or not) and replace them with kunifer using stainless unions. Job done. FOREVER.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:By far the easiest solution is to bin the steel pipes (coated or not) and replace them with kunifer using stainless unions. Job done. FOREVER.
I was about to say, just get kunifer ones. The plastic coated ones still rust, just not quite as quickly.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)