I'm on my belly... and can't get up!

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

I'm on my belly... and can't get up!

Post by BackinaBX »

Hello chaps, long time no see!

OK... well first of all... thanks for all your help way back when with the tricky thermostat issue.

Now then: The Problem. Last week I got a split hose under the car. Managed to get rid of most of my LHM from what I think is a power steering hose. Its on the main cross-member, fat pipe connecting with a thinner pipe, clamped with a jubilee. Cut off split bit. tighten. Good to go. It split again - the rubber is perrishing all along, it's 17 years old... it's knackered.

So I replaced the whole lot all the way back up to and connects with the fat pipe that goes into the reservoir.

Only trouble is... now I cant get the old girl off the ground! I only replaced the pipe and made sure that I didn't take out anything vital like a valve...

Could it be that I lost so much LHM that my pump is showing it's age and can't build pressure? Nothing's being pumped back into the tank!

Tried revving up. Moving the hight lever up and down to bleed... nowt.

Any ideas?
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have you primed the pump? Undo the pressure relief bolt on the regulator, take the pump supply hose off the reservoir, start engine, fill hose with LHM and refit quickly, then after a couple of minutes pumping, shut the pressure relief valve.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

No I haven't, but I will come daybreak! I'll let you know if she gets off the ground... cheers.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

What jeremy said. Easier with an accomplice, as you need to shut the engine off as soon as the LHM starts disappearing down the hose, and then reconnect with the reservoir. If you don't, you just end up doing it all again.

O
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
BackinaBX
BXpert

She's Up!

Post by BackinaBX »

It worked! There's just me on this one, so it was a bit of a trial and error thing... but she's back up on her feet and running smooth. Took her out for a spin of about 12 miles round trip... all good.

Now all I have to worry about is that weep off the regulator.

Ah, the joys of BX ownership.

Mind you, considering this is the second hose to fail (and as it was such a bugger to fix) it's only a matter of time before the next one goes. It might be time for us to part our ways...

Anyone interested in a BX TZD with a Hurricane spoiler and a big dent in the rear quarter?

Engine is sweet as though... and only done 166k!