Help!!

BX Tech talk
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Help!!

Post by Calfskin »

Sorry to do this yet again, but I'm stuck by this one.

Over the last week Rene's rev counter has developed an intermittant fault where it would suddenly stop working and come back again eventually. I've tried cleaning all the plugs in the engine bay which has only brightened the dials on the dashboard.

Today, I was hit by an idea (doesn't happen often so I'm still getting over the shock! LOL) that it could the connection on the rev counter itself. I have poked about in there replacing some duff bulbs (killing some good ones in the process) and since then there has been a ticking noise that appears to be coming from inside the cabin rather than the engine when I do around 70mph. Could the two be connected or am I going insane slightly quicker than I was hoping?

If its not that, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I had this on mine - it would work fine from cold but when the engine was warm it would usually stop working. This turned out to be the sensor (Hall effect I think) down by the flywheel, breaking down when hot.
A new one was about £17 from Citroen, and not too bad to fit. It is at the back of the engine, near the bottom and is held in by a 10mm bolt. The wire from it goes to a 3 pin multiplug near the battery.
This link may help http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/rev/
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If you've been doing anything which involves pulling the fusebox/interconnect box lately, or if it's just hanging down rather than clipped up, then llok over this and thoroughly check that all the interconnects are completely seated in their sockets.

I had similar problems only to eventually discover that this was the cause in my case - hanging-down interconnect box and a daughter with very large, chunky shoes!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

I hope it isn't the sensor as I've just phoned the local Citroen dealer and they've qouted £200 for it! :O

Probably I asked for the wrong one but it seems a bit steep if it used to cost only £17!

GSF don't appear to sell them either so any other ideas where I may get one?

Thanks.

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you'd like to PM me your address, I'll pop you one in the post. (secondhand of course) but tested.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Ticking noise

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Just a thought as you have done the dial bulbs, how about the speedo cable, is the needle steady? Thinking about it, if it is steady you might just have the only one that is!!
Cheers
Geoff
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

The needle is very shaky all the way up to 40 then its calmer and doesn't actually settle till 75-80.

So is there a way to tighten the cable connection on the back of the dial? I may just do that when I'm brave enough to go back in to replace the bulbs I killed last time... LOL

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Yes my mate looks at the speedo and says "Its a Veglia, vaguely around thirty!" I did have one that didnt wobble around but I dont know how it happened :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Speedo.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi one way to check to see if it is the speedo/cable is to disconnect the cable at the gearbox end and see if the noise goes away. most of the trouble is that the cable goes through some tight bends being right hand drive. I believe that Allan s did an article on the subject some time ago.Apologies if I got that wrong memory not too good.
Cheers
Geoff.
martin

Post by martin »

ALL BX speedo's wobble mate !!! :)
If the mileage on my recently purchased BX Meteor diesel is believed to be genuine (actually reads 41800 ! not the 44000 as stated in my other posts) , then i can tell you that mine wobbles even at that mileage ! :)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have finally managed to get mine to just a little wiggle rather than quite a wobble at one point it used to wobble with a 10Mph swing. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've just had a dig through my receipts - the parts number for the sensor is KL591875, and it cost £15.27 + VAT 18 months ago.
Maybe they misunderstood you when you asked, I've had the same thing happen to me so I've had to tell them the part no. before they know what I mean!