Undesired fluid issue changing strut - am I shafted?

BX Tech talk
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Undesired fluid issue changing strut - am I shafted?

Post by AdrianO »

I was happily changing a n/s suspension strut - about the limit of my expertise, but something I've now done several times - and got so engrossed cleaning the grunge off the caliper I didn't notice the driveshaft had dropped enough to spill a load of (nice, clean) oil out of the diff end. So I quickly stuffed the "new" strut in and chocked the wishbone up, and that stopped the leak. However, I don't know quite where I am with this.

1. Do I need gearbox oil or engine oil or something else to replace the spillage?

2. Have I knackered the oil seals in the diff housing? The driveshaft could not have budged more than 1cm I guess - but Haynes has dire warning about damaged diff seals. And how can I tell if I have a problem with this?

I've just fitted new Michelins on the back and changed the rear discs and pads (myself) in expectation of an MoT retest on Tuesday, after it's had the subframe welded up. Yes, I love my BX ('91 Meteor), and I need to know what the chance is that I've not shafted things further by fooling around with the old girl.

Thanks for your help.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

You need to to up the gearbox oil, that driveshaft does pop out easily doesnt it, with a little luck the seal will be okay, to top up remove the wheel and look at the end of the gearbox, one of the bolts is larger than the others (19mm), thats the filler/level plug, remove it and using the squirty pipe that fits the top of your bottle of sae 80 gear oil fill it up till it starts to run out, pop the plug back in and thats it.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you do need a new diff seal they are only about £3 or so and probably can got out with a bit of ingenuity. New one presses (punches with care) in.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

See http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54545#54545 regarding oil type and location of filler plug.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg