Advice needed: Is it worth it?

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Bring it up to Stroud mate, I'll do it for free since I'm having a major welding sesh on a 40 foot Leyland Tiger coach at the mo.

If you think you got problems, I've got to make a whole new frame up for the rear end of the coach, thats 13 feet from rear axle to back panel, over 100 feet of box section steel in all. Oh, and I gota have it finished by easter monday, since it's going for MOT the following day!

I could knock that BX back together in an afternoon I reckon, and air con.....mmmmm.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

That's a very kind offer, but I've a feeling you've got your work cut out for you to get that coach done by easter monday!

I'll get it done. I've no doubt it will seem somewhat easier once I get the area cleaned up. It was just the initial OMFG! when what I thought was going to be a 20 minute repair turned into something a little more complex.

Who's stupid idea was it to make cars out of mild steel anyway? Lotus have the right idea. Galvanised steel and plastic.

*walks off, muttering about the price of lotus cars*
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Trust me Lotus cars dont rust but thats just as well as most other things go wrong! I sold them for a year once and the build quality was shocking!
Last edited by tim leech on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Here is what i had to do to my inner wing after it failed on a hole the size of your little finger nail.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

DavidRutherford wrote: It was just the initial OMFG! when what I thought was going to be a 20 minute repair turned into something a little more complex.
It's always the same mate, as sleepy shows us, a little hole tends to hide a much bigger ingress of rot...

Best of luck, although I've no doubt you'll get it done quickley being a man of your calibre.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My first venture back in to Bxs in 2005 with the 19TXD that Stuart bought from me had a rust bubble on the nsf inner wing which after a prod with a screwdriver turned into a whole big enough to put fingers :shock: But the car was then 12 years old so I guess its to be expected, £20 and a metal plate later it passed its MOT
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

There is always more rust than you think... and the back end of a BX hatch nearly always rusts out. The only hatch I've had where this didn't hold true, it was because that section had been completely replaced by the previous owner after a rear shunt (Adam, in Kent, is Graculus the green bird still flying?).

The Achilles heel on the estates is the bumper-mount cross-member at the side. Thankfully that one's not quite so structural. But before you go any further, take a look at the boot floor along the rear right-angle join to the back cross-member, and and a little in front too- all the way along, and particularly just above the box sections. This is often rotten and yields to thumb pressure. If I've just described what's rotted out, please forgive my inattention.

Recently, just AFTER jacking my get-you-around-for-now estate (shortly to donate several vital organs to my latest purchase), I found myself looking at a rust hole right through the sill not a couple of centimetres away from the jacking point. Ooooeerr.....I'll be proceeding with caution
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.