Blip Unlock. Blip… nothing. Eh?

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Blip Unlock. Blip… nothing. Eh?

Post by BackinaBX »

Hello chaps.

I'm having a problem with my blipper for the central locking on old Harriet.

It will unlock the car happily from a fair distance, but won’t lock it again. Any thoughts on why that might be? I mean I could go retro and just use the key, but frankly it’s such a novelty to have a car with remote blippery, I’d rather like it to work!

Cheers in advance of a cure,
Phil.
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, interesting.
Have you tried locking / unlocking the car from the drivers door? If so, does it "fire" the rest of locks??

Could be the controller packing up I guess....

Whereabouts are in Sunny Bristol? and are you around in the mornings??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

The central locking works fine with the key. Locks and unlocks all the doors and the boot.

And it works fine with the blip for unlocking the car... it just won't lock it. I thought it could be the batteries going flat or something... so I sat in the car and held the blip up to the receiver. Unlocks fine, won't lock again!

One thing I ought to ask... the BX never had an immobiliser did it? On several occasions I've driven somewhere, stopped. Locked the car, but then it won't start again until I've locked and unlocked the car with the key... I've got nothing in the manual about this, and the previous owner didn't say anything about it when I bought it.

Very interesting.

Citroen electrics eh? They make you laugh, then cry, then laugh some more, until the men with white coats come and take you away.

Oh, and I'm not in Sunny Bristol, but out in the sticks to the west.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I once heard of an XM that would only start when the boot was open.

Bad earth.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Of course I go out this morning... and it all works. Lock, unlock... repeat until satisfied that, no, it really is working just as it should be.

I think Harriet knows we're talking about her.

Typical. :roll:
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Got the same kind of issue with the TZS, replaced the batteries and unless you right beside the car pointing to the sensor the blip dont work. Sometimes it does sometimes it dont furthest I got was 3ft from the drivers door for it to work.

Other than Batteries what other possibilities have we found for these Auto door locker thingys?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Being near the sunroof on a hatch, and just under the radio ariel on both saloon and estate, the connector pins for the receiver unit are capable of corroding away if there's water ingress.

I found this on a TZi estate in the course of removing several particularly loathsome black octopi's-worth of wiring connected to an alarm system with a life all of its own, and in the course of a Catch-22 when trying to deactivate the alarm in order to remove it....... which of course had been effectively hard-wired into the plip wiring.

Whether this is of any relevance at all I don't know, but thought I'd mention it. If there is any trace of water ingress, you're probably better off leaving the receiver unit on situ as you're likely to break the pins during removal.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Ah well my sunroof has been known to offer me a little shower feature when it's raining hard... so you might be on to something there...

I'll have the panel out and have a look at it.

It's damn temperamental that blip. Like I said before... worked fine the other day... but today it's just not doing anything! Lock, unlock? Nope... nothing.
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As you have the Infra Red plipper you can test it with a digital camera - which is sensitive to the signal. It could be that its become intermittent due to dirt or poor battery connections.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/plip/

also worth a look at the rest of the site - follow link to parent directory.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I suppose it could also could beworth trying what I endlessly end up doing with TV remotes: taking the batteries out and then putting them back in again. If you do this with the car unlocked and can then lock it afterwards, the batteries (or something else on the slightly toytown plip sender PCB) could be suspect.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.