DUFF ABS

BX Tech talk
tim leech

DUFF ABS

Post by tim leech »

Mine doesnt work although I have replaced the non ABS driveshaft with a correct one (thanks Ian), the ABS light went out once for about 2 seconds a while ago but stays on continuously. Is there a easy way to find out whats up, I imagne its a sensor? Is there a way you can clean these sensors?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I think its usually the cables that fail, over on FCF there are loads of folks who have replaced the cables successfully, time to get the soldering iron out Tim.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Cables? :shock:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Co-axial cables, wires to you Tim :wink:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

On mine I found 3 defective sensors - and both back ones had failed as a result of the outer cover becoming porous and allowing the screening to corrode. The trick is to find the defective sensor first - by metering at the plug - then cut the cable at a convenient place, meter the sensor side - and if it still doesn't conduct - cut it back a bit further - until it does work. Do the same the other way then strip the wire back and solder in a length of flexible co-ax cable (not like TV aerial cable which has a solid centre conductor)

You need to insulate carefully, both the centre conductor and then pay careful attention to waterproofing the outer.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thats way above my level of skills jeremy, I will clean everything up and see if there connected, if still no job I will have to get some new sensors fitted.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Get a agarge to check them if it's beyond your skills tim, seems pointless spending money on sensors you may not need.
Ok, it's most likely a sensor gone done, but it could be the relay, oh, and not forgetting the pesky little diode in the wiring loom. Shouldn't take a compentant garage long to locate the course of the trouble which has got to be cheaper than buying 4 sensors and hoping for the best??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Or you could always bring my radiator up here and get it fixed really cheaply. :D
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Sounds like a plan to me Ken.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I have some sensors kicking around and even saw an ABS ecu today. I should hopefully have some more tomorrow, courtesy of the 16v.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks matey, cars in tomorrow having the welding done and the other driveshaft fitted, will have a looky while its up on the ramps to see if theres anything obvious. If still no Joy i will take a ride up to see you, most probably end of the month after payday! :D