Mini cooling systems - any knowledge out there?

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Marty wrote:*Younger listeners may wonder what one of these is, its a proper 10 pence piece when money was worth something and we still had ha'pennys and you could buy two blackjacks for a penny. Ahh jumpers for goalposts, whatever happened to Laskys etc etc :roll:
*feels old*

Any further news on this mini?

The core plug that I've seen go a couple of times on the mini is on the back of the engine block, and can be done in situ. But... looking back over the topic, I may have invented this core plug issue all on my own, as the comment was that it was possibly the bottom hose that was leaking... D'oops!

If it's not a core plug issue, then that's even easier.

If the thermostat bolts really are that siezed, there's a nasty trick available to get them out without damaging the head.... Assuming you can get hold of another thermostat cover, you simply cut the heads off the bolts, (ruining the thermostat cover in the process, of course) and lever the cover off. This leaves the remains of the bolt sticking out of the head... which means you can now get some penetrating fluid in there, and wind the threads out of the head. Doing this avoids the possibility of shearing the bolts off flush with the head, and thus making the job 10 times harder.

Did that once before on a Vauxhaul engine with completely corroded thermostat bolts (steel bolts into an aluminium casting. Worked a treat.
this might be a signature
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I've emailed your suggestions to the owner...

I must be stupid - I've said that I'll do the work if she sources the bits. Some sort of stupid testosterone manly thing - "Look woman - Man fix car!" and now that SWMBO is no longer interested...

Actually I really do fancy doing the work, but as I don't know the people very well, I didn't want to get stuck in ripping out seized bolts.

We'll see what they say.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"