Non BX query

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Non BX query

Post by Kitch »

Just need someone to confirm I'm not mental really....

As you may or may not know, Saxos have an electric power steering pump, rather than a belt driven unit. These are prone to failure; right about now, basically.

Now its my g/f's car, and due to her being a poor student she's gone and bought a second hand unit from a scrappy. I fitted it today and it worked initially, but then failed to work the second time I started the car. It did make one odd noise prior to working too, and now theres nothing, just like the original pump. I've checked the plug on the loom and there is a healthy 14.4v going to the pump, but no reaction from the pump.

The connector itself is in A1 condition.

Both pumps are duff, right?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I've heard the ignition switch can give problems on the Saxo by failing and cutting out the P/S pump. Worth a look?

Just found this on another site.......

"No need to change the switch.There is a wiring modification to the wiring at the ignition switch :there should be 3 two pin plugs brown, grey & black coming off the switch, un-plug brown connector leave the side that goes into the switch untouched, then the 2 wires on the other side going into the harness should be joined together (preferably soldered) to make a loop in the wiring. Do NOT join the part that goes into the switch. Hey presto P.A.S.,heater blowers working again.you'll probably find the heated rear window was not working either."
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ah a similar fault to the Xantia and the heater blower issues.

Only thing is, I do have power at the plug that connects to the pump. If it was the Ign switch surely I'd have no power at the terminal?

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have you measured the voltage when attempting to draw power? Its possible that the voltage will wilt when under load.

Presumably the PAS pump draws a considerable current - and so it may be operated via a relay to protect the ignition switch. It may be that that relay is causing the problem.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

The brushes gum up in the motors causing intermittent operation. You need to strip the motor down and clean out / free off the brushes - it should work OK then - you will probably find the original will respond to this as well. My colleague managed it with the pump still joined to the hose unions on the car, as he couldn't free them. Worth a punt as a new pump is > £200!!
I NEED a BX TD.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Its difficult to measure the voltage under load, because of the design of the plug. I'll delve further into it.

RichardW: I can't find a way of stripping the unit down though, was it a Saxo one that your friend overhauled?

thanks

RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Def a Saxo pump - it was a couple of years ago though. I'm sure I found a post on the Saxo list on Yahoo about doing it - but didn't turn it up on a short search just now. I don't think it looks like you should be able to get it apart, but ISTR it's just a case of bending the tabs back so that you can prise the end cover off, and then take it from there - just like a starter motor really. You may well find it will respond to a sharp tap from a hammer handle to get it going temporarily.
I NEED a BX TD.