Leaking water pipe

BX Tech talk
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Leaking water pipe

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Advice needed please.As above,I've got a leaking water pipe.It's the braided one that appears to come from the back of the head(you can see it if you look between the water pump pulleys).It then goes across the back of the engine and couples up to some more pipes on the driver's side.Is this a dealer part?Is it available from GSF and the like?What do I need to remove to get to it,other than the obvious intercooler?Any advice gratefully received
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Am I right in thinking the full set is about £125 :shock: :shock:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

And be VERY careful removing the pipes from the matrix, the plastic pipes get brittle and break very easily.

If your strapped for cash Dean, and identify with pipe it is, I can send you a second hand (but leak free) pipe gratis..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Thanks for the replys lads.It's the one that Jon mentioned first(the easiest.Suppose every cloud has a silver lining :D )Thanks for the offer of the pipe Doc,but I'll get a new one.Knowing my luck,the unleakiest of pipes will start pissing water out the week after I have fitted it :twisted:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I've repaired the pipe today with pipe repair tape.Didn't fancy taking the pipe off the heater matrix side,knowing my luck,the pipe was sure to have broke :evil: :evil: :evil: So far so good.no leaks yet :D :D :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've found they sometimes go just where they join to the back of the head, as such if you're lucky, can be shortend back and refitted.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Mr BX is right again,it had gone just where you said,Ken.I don't think there was quite enough spare pipe to shorten it,so I taped it.I now have the scars on my arms to prove that I did it :evil: :evil: :evil:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD