Leaking water pump ?

BX Tech talk
classic2cv
BXpert

Leaking water pump ?

Post by classic2cv »

i keep losing water

every 2 to 3 days the stop and water light comes on and i have to top up the water

the car leaves a little pool of water now and again close to the front offside wheel

and when i had a quick underneath i some water dripping off the plastic cambelt cover

will it get any worse and can i leave a week or so and fix it when i change the belt?
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Almost certainly the waterpump leaking.
As for leaving it a week... what sort of mileage are we talking?

If you keep it topped up, and keep a VERY careful check on it, you might be ok, but if the gland lets go at 70mph on a motorway and dumps all the coolant, your engine will be FUBAR..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

it's been doing it for some time

it takes about 3 days before the light starts to flicker then go out

then i top it up, i don't do a lot of mileage at the moment but the cambelt does need to be done so i can do those together with some other bits that need doing
Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If it was my car I would get it done asap no question about that, and of course change the cambelt at the same time.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've been keeping a BX doing exactly this under observation for some time, but checking regularly and avoiding journeys longer than a few miles wherever possible. Doc's quite right about the dire possibilities, though. The water pump I had earmarked to replace it went into my new BX - both water pump and replacement were thanks to Tom's kind help.

If you need to wait a while to organise logistics for a belt/pump change, you'll probably find that the flow is less if you're filling with a water rather than water/antifreeze mixture, though obviously that's not a good move in the long term. Until you do it - keep checking, and preferably refill before the light comes on.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

DLM wrote: If you need to wait a while to organise logistics for a belt/pump change, you'll probably find that the flow is less if you're filling with a water rather than water/antifreeze mixture, though obviously that's not a good move in the long term. Until you do it - keep checking, and preferably refill before the light comes on.
thanks for the advice i'll wait a bit get all the bits together and do the cambelt at the same time

There’s a neighbour who has Peugeot 405 TD and I’ll be giving him a hand with his cambelt too

:D
Citroen BX

^^ ^^^^bx>