Idling speed adjustment

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Idling speed adjustment

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi My 16TGS auto runs fine but when in D holding the car stationary with the brakes - in traffic or at lights etc - the revs are down to about 600-650 rpm and the car vibrates and rattles asking for a few more revs. I slip it into N and all is well - but having driven autos before where this isn't an issue I can only assume I need to get the idling speed up a tad...

Am I right in thinking this, and if so how do I do it?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Hi Philip, my one does exactly the same.... :?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

What is your idle speed with the engine warm in neutral, Phil? AFAIK the manual 16TGS is meant to be c. 850 RPM, and auto is meant to be c. 950 RPM... but I'd check Haynes BOL to be sure. I'm guessing the higher speed is to compensate for the drag when holding the car in drive with the brake. There may also be something else to check on the carb - no manual to hand at this moment sorry!

Cheers,

Mark.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My 3 autos did the same Phil, I have always been told to put the box into Neutral when stationary to save wear and tear.
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

You shouldn't need to put an auto into neutral at the lights, the gearbox has been designed to take this 'pause into its stride. Only if you were waiting for a long time ie. severe hold-ups re an accident or congestion would I think about it (and then I'd probably turn the engine off as well). It should have a slightly higher idle speed when running when compared to a manual (as mnde says) ....this also gives the car the auto 'creep' which can be used when slow manoeuvering only using the brake pedal (stops all those 'stupid auto g/box accs where they say 'I thought I pushed the brake pedal' DOH!) with modern cars this is usually taken care of with tiny solenoids etc which raise the tickover slightly at idle in gear or when a 'load' (ie power steering ) is placed on the engine.
Mike.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi Idle in D when warm - held stationary by the brakes is about 750, in N this rises to about 850. I think it's all a bit low so if I consult my Haynes is that going to tell me how to adjust it or should I listen to the oracle that is the forum...?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Hi Phil,

Haynes should tell you what you need to know - you just need to find the model # on the carb body- it should be on a small metal tag. Otherwise here is a link to some PDF pages from the all-singing-and-dancing Haynes Solex/Weber Carburettor manual, that Jeremy posted up a while back:

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/

Just look in the folder called "Carburation". This contains a lot more detailed info on all the different types of BX carb and how to adjust, overhaul etc.

Cheers,

Mark.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You'll probably find that the GTi doesn't suffer so much, because its injected and sorts itself out (unless its Jetronic, in which case I now look like a fool)

But even so, upping the idle speed is a piece of cake. There will need to be a small grub screw or something that either presses against the cable housing, or a latch connected to it.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Kitch wrote:You'll probably find that the GTi doesn't suffer so much,
Wouldn't know Kitch. I sold it :D :lol:

Anyway, I adjusted the 16TGS's idle speed this afternoon and it's now MUCH better. Slight drawback is going to be slightly increased fuel consumption and it idles at 1000 in neutral. Some fine tuning required I think to get the balance just right, but now at the lights I don't have 'the shakes'. Starts better too. :)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Water it down with more soda Phil, gives you less of the "shakes".
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:lol: Trying to cease altogether! :roll:
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I have just considered doing the same adjusting of idle speed, but the Haynes Manual says (page 110) that on automatic models the in-gear idle speed should be obtained at 650-700rpm.
I am just going to keep the idle speed as it is now.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

TXS seems ok with this one and ticks over at just under 900rpm when in N or P.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I am sure it would be more comfortable with a slightly higher idle speed, but why does the haynes manual recommend the lower one 650-700 rpm it feels a bit too low when in-gear
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Found on the GTi that it didn't like a lower idle either. Most pronounced effect was seen in reverse because instead of smooth uptake on acceleration there was a sudden 'clonk & snatch' which doesn't happen with idle at 900.
Don't know the 'quirks' of the 16 auto but how does reverse behave on these?
1991 BX19GTi Auto