Diesel radiator

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Diesel radiator

Post by toddao »

would this rad fit in my 1.9 D? Looks similar but seems to be lacking the filling aparatus that mine has. Does the TD have a header tank? Also is it worth buying a second hand rad? Perhaps more trouble than it's worth.. cheers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-TD-rad ... dZViewItem
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the TD does indeed have a header tank (similar to that in the 16v) and requires some amount of replumbing to fit the TD rad to the 1.9d. There is also some risk of over cooling however i would argue that if the car is doing a lot of towing then a TD rad is pretty much essential.

Other than possibly economy what other effects would over cooling have on an engine?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

It'll only overcool if the thermostat doesn't work - that's its job!

I'd stick to the correct one unless you have a plentiful supply of bits - changing these things will casue all manner of problems from wrong fixing brackets, different hose layouts, the 'T' peice or otherwise on the bottom hose, different diameters etc.

Normally aspirated BX's don't seem to have any particular problems - and I'm sure were designed for climbing Alps on hot days. The Turbo one may be a bit of overkill (its massive) as there was little experience with turbo diesels when it was announced.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Assuming the thermostat is doing its job properly, the engine cannot be overcooled regardless of how large the radiator is.

Overcooling the engine will mean that the oil never reaches operating temperature, and so there will be excessive wear on the engine (it's like being in warm-up all the time)
this might be a signature
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks fellas for quick response! Anyone know where to find the pukkah item? GSF don't have them and can't locate one here.
My T*RD parts car arrives this week but as it's got head gasket problems I don't reckon the rad's much cop. Seems this silting issue causes these cold spots which delays the fan kicking in = head gasket demise.. etc.
Todd

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I think that GSF still stock the XU petrol rads, which are broadly similar and (from what I remember) at a decent price. Valeo items - so other sources may be worth checking out.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You tell me that your rad has an occasional leak?

Can you see where it's coming from? or maybe it only leaks when cold.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The leak is somewhere down the bottom, left hand side. This area appears constantly wet and it looks like it's got corrosion. When the car is sat - nothing. Only when it's hot - then it starts dripping
Todd

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

One here, seller claims to post world wide, gotta be worth a call!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-radiator- ... dZViewItem