Further leakage (with some polishing)

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Further leakage (with some polishing)

Post by stuart_hedges »

Posted on my website today:
I wrote:I did something today that I'd never done before - I polished my car. And re-applied the bumper treatment (from Meguiars, no less). It was looking great, and a nice chap from up the road chatted with me for a bit, passing the time and reminiscing about nice old cars. When he left, he asked me if I knew I was losing oil and pointed to the front bumper. Oh. Damn.

Well, that definitely wasn't there when I was treating the bumpers - which I'd done with the car up high, to make it easier to reach the undersides and awkward bits. Maybe it was leaking when the car dropped - which I'd done to polish the roof. A bit of experimenting and I found the leak.

I raised and lowered the car and tried to capture the LHM peeing out - it goes with enough pressure to water the radiator - but didn't manage to take the picture quickly enough before it stopped. See the Y-shaped pipe? The leaking pipe is the left-hand one. Of course, the leak is in the pipe that runs towards the back of the engine bay and disappears into the bowels of the engine, not the easily-accessible one on the bottom of the fluid reservoir.

For now I'm going to snip the end and push it back on further down, but I will be trying to find out where that pipe leads, and how hard it is to replace.

I might need to think about doing something drastic like replacing the octopi if it's going to keep springing leaks at this rate.
Anyone know where that leads? And how difficult it will be to replace if (horror of horrors) I do it properly rather than bodging it up?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

That looks like it's a bit of a bodge to be honest.. I don't think there's supposed to be a y-piece there. I could be wrong though.

.... and a lovely straight number plate you have there too sir.....

:mrgreen:
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Hehe! Credit where credit's due - thanks to David's advice and my dad's clubhammer for the straight numberplate :D
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Definately a bodge.

Fit a new octopus, it's all good clean fun :D
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Ken wrote:Fit a new octopus, it's all good clean fun
/Runs away screaming to put car on eBay
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

£55 +vat approx from citroen if its the little octopus! I managed to mend mine but I suspect that once one bit fails the rest won't be far behind. The two pipes (via the bodge) are height corrector return pipes...
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

£55 isn't too much to spend (I was quoted hundreds on the CX), I'm more worried about the work. How hard is it on a BX? I need encouragement guys........
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

If these are height corrector pipes, then this is the BIG octopus, which is about £30. Jury is still out as to whether you have to remove the OS driveshaft to change it.

My DTR has not-long had it's octopus changed, and the bloke who did it did a rather nice little mod on it. Rather than bringing a couple of the return pipes past the cambelt cover and engine mount, they now come up and around the OS sphere, down to the tank. They had to be lengthened a bit (with bits of old octopus) but he said it was a lot easier to do that. Seems to work fine.

if you are going to do an octopus, it's a prime time to have the LHM tank out, give the whole area a clean, change the LHM etc etc.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You dont have to take the O/S shaft out, but it makes things alot easier!
For better access still, take the engine out!

Clever little mod there David, not thought of that.
*makes mental note for future use*
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

docchevron1472 wrote:You dont have to take the O/S shaft out, but it makes things alot easier!
For better access still, take the engine out!

absolutely agree, more than possible to do without the shaft out but i like to remove it as then i can get my head right in and see whats what and inspect for any other problems! I do also have all the relevant sockets and an impact driver to do the job with so taking the DS out is a simple affair. Doing it with DS in means your simple having to go by feel a little bit more and may have to move about to see whats going on! Find a small child, they should be able to do it a little easier :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Vanny wrote:Find a small child, they should be able to do it a little easier :D
Or a lady. Women tend to have smaller hands, and women love to help out repairing cars, and getting oily and dirty.

Don't they?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I always thought French car mechanics charged so much as they were a special breed with extra joints in their hands!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote:
absolutely agree, more than possible to do without the shaft out but i like to remove it as then i can get my head right in and see whats what and inspect for any other problems!
Thats why I take the engine out, I've got a very big head! :roll: :wink:

I've never yet met a woman who likes getting oily, met a few dirty ones though :wink:

As for children, pah! Nuff said...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...