6+2 pump (Xantia w/out flo-dis) on BX - anyone fitted one

BX Tech talk
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I would just build it up and run it initially, the only thing I would do would be to free off the threads on the turbo wastegate actuator pushrod and put plenty of copper grease on them ready for when you increase the boost and fuelling, A boost gauge is also important, is your pump Bosch or Roto?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not sure about the pump, the Xantia is about 150 miles away at the moment! I was just thinking that if I have to put in a different cam, I might as well use one that gives me more performance.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mat_fenwick wrote:Sorry to go off at a tangent...but would the 1.9 NAD cam require increased fuelling to notice any real difference when fitted to a TD engine?
By fitting a more agressive camshaft to an engine, you do two main things.. you increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine by allowing more air into the cylinders, and you reduce the resistance to getting the exhaust gas out of the cylinder.

As a "bolt in", the camshaft will have some effect, but more can be gained by upping the fueling too, as on an XUD engine, the pump effectively "knows" how much fuel it can inject as a maximum. This would indeed need to be upped slightly to make maximum use of the more aggressive camshaft.

I did all this a long time ago on a tatty old 405 estate. 1.9n/a camshaft (from XUD9A "oval port" rather than from the XUD9 "square port") upped boost, upped fuelling, bigger and better located intercooler, etc.etc. It went like the proverbial. Never had it measured, but I'd guess at least 130+ BHP and (more importantly) massive shovelfulls of torque. Maybe 250lbft? You could light it's tyres in second gear by simply pressing the accelerator. Twas a LOT of fun. Still did 40mpg.

That same spec of engine in BX would be even faster, as a 405 is nowhere near as light as a BX.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That sounds tempting, anybody got a spare 1.9 NA cam spare? :twisted: Hopefully it should all happen this year, if i get permission from SWMBO...