BX Brake overhaul Questions.

BX Tech talk
M

BX Brake overhaul Questions.

Post by M »

My mechanicing ability isn’t brilliant – mind you I will have a good crack at most things. Presently the BX is in need of a new calliper and also two flexi hoses for its MOT. (Also bottom ball joints, but the garage can have the pleasure of those..) :twisted:

Despite a shonky calliper, I have just picked up a new (recon) one off ebay and plan to fit the lot this weekend. What I would like to know is, regarding the veritable LHM shower that I will no doubt get do I have to depressurise the system before undoing all the associated hoses etc? Or is it sufficient to have the car in “low” position and so long as my willing helper isn’t stomping on the brakes – will I remain fairly dry :?:

This is what I am attempting to get roadworthy..
Last edited by M on Wed May 18, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

It is probably best to de-pressurise the system to be on the safe side. Thinking about it, when you break the circuit on a "normal" system, you will get a leak due to gravity. On a Cit there should be no gravity leakage or pressurised leak, otherwise the brakes would be on all the time.

If you want to bleed the brakes, press and hold down the pedal with a piece of wood to apply the brakes, then bleed at the calliper. No more shouts of On Off On Off! :wink:
M

Post by M »

Thanks Dave - no more jam jars and DOT4! :D
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote:Thanks Dave - no more jam jars and DOT4! :D
Happy days :lol: Jumpers for goal posts and all that.........
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Marty, is it road legal yet? you could bring it down at the weekend and do it!

If i get mine all sorted and insured etc im up for giving you a hand next week after work if you like?
M

Post by M »

Is it road legal?

IS IT ROAD LEGAL???
:lol:
Dont make me laugh!

Seem to have been waiting since the beginning of time for a servicable calliper to finish the job off - only 3 braked wheels makes it a little dodgey.

Thats why I said the weekend of the 28th would be better for me as it SHOULD be done by then (otherwise Im in the twunting AX)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Just got the last of the air out of my rear brakes, the final solution was a trip to the aquarium shop for a long length of tubing, I attached this to the rear bleed nipple, got my foot on the pedal and actually saw the bubbles come past me on their way to the reservoir, doing the other side the pipe blew off and liberally coated the whole wheelarch area with LHM, still it will hold the rot in check :lol:
When are we to see your BX rolling Marty?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

See my post in the general BX section..... :wink: