Mysteries unravelled in rebuild... a long involved story

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Japanese cars here have the reputation of lasting well even if like Nissans they are so boring there is no good reason to buy one. There is also a thriving trade in importing elderly Japanese people mover type vehicles (Enema or Enenina's and Lucidas - both Toyotas I think) into UK and selling them for high prices. To be fair they do look smart so presumably the best are chosen.

If your engine had stepped top rings perhaps you weren't the first person to dismantle it?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Had full service history and bought from the original owner.
As we know, they have a reputation for being oil users and the object of the exercise is was to find out why.
We have in our house a Mazda Traveller, a Nissan GT-R and a Mitsubitsi Lancer and as I say, the Jap car reputation is man made based on their methods used to iron over problems. They are reliable in the early part of their life and admittedly will keep going in a sort of fashion if not regularly maintained for a while, but give them some serious work and it seems that the reliability myth is built on the mentality of owners living in denial when they begin to fall in a heap.
As I said, I worked for a dealer of 3 major brands, the toys being the biggest, so I had first hand experience on what they get up to.
Our Mazda and the Nissan spend as much time in the air as they do on their wheels mainly because we keep our vehicles running to a reliable standard due to our location and this is why we drive Cits because they seem to be able to get us home where the Jap stuff would just fall in a heap.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.