Oil Leak in 16RS

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Oil Leak in 16RS

Post by kiwi »

Yes I like my lemons :?

Thoughts on the possible location of a Oil Leak that is spraying the firewall on the nearside ? Looked under the car but its so dirty could not locate directly.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Check the dipstick fit - that's where my problem lay when one of mine suffered a worrying spray of oil.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Transverse engined cars can be difficult. The problem is that all oil leaks seem to come from the back - but originate on the front and the oil is blown round the block and flies off the back.

I'd start by looking at the easy bits - camshaft cover gasket, crankcase vent hoses which are certainly a problem with diesels.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Nasty breather pipe gone "chewy" and holed? Cam cover gasket been a victim of bodgenometry?
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

engine is good with 3 cylinders registering 170 psi and one on 80 psi,
Not sure on how much relevance this line in the advert had or what the previous owner said. He was not mechanically minded and they only drove it twice in the 8 months they owned it.

One turn up for the books is we thought it was unregisterd since June last year. Stuck it the windscreen holder behind it was along with every registration since 2001 was a current ticket valid until June 2nd this year 8). Somehow I do not think they checked thinking it was out of date.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I was trying to be optimistic in my earlier post - but if there is ring/bore wear the engine will suffer from excessive crankcase pressure caused by the combustion gasses passing the piston - and then it'll leak oil everywhere especially from joints you didn't know it had.

The simple test is to remove the oil filler cap while the engine is running. If you can stand there in reasonable comfort then that's not the problem - but if you choke and run for fresh air - you've got a problem.

With one cylinder low and the rest apparently OK I'd normally be looking for a defective valve - but these engines don't seem to suffer from them.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Surely a defective cylinder would show itself under heavy loading? I put under some pretty harsh braking and acceleration up some big hills and there was no hesitation or jerkyness. Even starts better than my 19TZS :?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Did you measure the compression before or after the journey?

You can often hear the inequality as a slight pulse in the exhaust.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

The intention was to get it home for parts if drivable and avoid a trailer and ruining the 19TZS.

Took it in for a check over to see if its worthwhile repairing besides the headlight, two tyres and leak in the exhaust was found (possibly fixable) but the Sub Frame is rusted. I will take a photo to show you the extent. There is also a bit of rust on the seem of the bulk head above the N/S front wheel.

The hunt is now on for a donor car for a Sub Frame, until then it looks like a polish up (Keeps the wife happy :wink: ) and park up on the side of the drive.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Philip chidlow wrote:Check the dipstick fit - that's where my problem lay when one of mine suffered a worrying spray of oil.
Yep mine suffered from this as well until I bought a brand new dipstick. The sealing bit of plastic underneath the handle had broken off on the old one. My HT leads stay nice and clean now 8)

How about the distributor oil seal? I used to get a lot of oil spray on the nearside inner wing of my GSA before I got this changed.

Mark.