Brake pad change

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Brake pad change

Post by kiwi »

Changed the 19TZS brake pads today the squell from one side was driving me nuts.
Good job I did decide that now would be a good time to look at them as there was just over 2mm of pad left on the worst of the four removed :shock:
One of the easiest pad replacements on a BX I have ever done and one I dont sport any knuckle injuries whilst winding back the caliper. In fact the calipers are in such good condition it was most finger work until the last little bit. Thats amazed me never had it so smooth.
The brake pad wear indicators are still intact so they have been hooked up again yet another amazement for a car first on the road in 1993.

I also think I may have found my water leak, as it was a cold day whilst the bonnet was up I did notice a small wisp of steam from the top hose.
Closer inspection on the underside shows some residue deposits at the end. Will be keeping a eye on that for when I take out the thermostat later.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I trust you're intending to replace the thermostat rather than leave it out?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Ah bugger does that mean I should put it back :lol: Yea should have written that better I intend to do the saucepan boil trick and replace it if need be.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Save yourself the time Kiwi and just put a new one in. Even if it passes the saucepan boil test, it'll fail sooner rather than later if it's the original.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

That's ok if you can get bits at the end of the street but I suspect that it is more difficult for Kiwi. If it turns out to be a perished top hose then all should be well.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Getting a thermostat I dont think will be a problem as the local garage carried a Rad Cap before and as far as I knew Thermostats are universal meaning that one of a dozen models will fit? Since Pugs are quite common over hear I think that there should be some similarity?

As for the heater hose ???? well that may be harder changing a jubilee clip is the first option.

Got to say noticed the new pads though :roll: The windscreen comes up quicker :lol: