TZD Fuel Gauge Sender

BX Tech talk
roscoe
BXpert

TZD Fuel Gauge Sender

Post by roscoe »

I've had a problem with my TZD fuel gauge being very erratic for sometime now. I had this problem previously and pulled the sender unit apart and it was basically falling apart, so I replaced it with one out of my 16V parts car which worked better but lately has had the same problems of erratic operation. I noticed a couple on ebay a few weeks back so bought them (4.99 each) and they showed up in the post today. Are Italian made and came with an instruction sheet plus wiring diagram for the 3 leads in the plug. The really interesting part is that they are a solid state sender, no float or moving parts. They also turn the low fuel light on for a few seconds when you first turn the key on as well - so you know it's working. I removed the old one, put the new one in and now have a solid, accurate fuel gauge :D Will report back when I run a few tank fulls of diesel through it to see how it goes, but so far I'm impressed!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Were they specifically for the BX or did they need adapting to fit the tank? I would be interested in seeking one out if it works well for you (although after owning an 80s Alfa I have a strange fear of Italian electrics!!!)
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

They were specific to the BX plus some Peugeot models and came with a new gasket as well. Was a simple 30 second job to swap it with the old one. Filled the car up this morning and it doesn't quite show full (4/4) mark like the old one did, but I'll run a few tanks through it to see what the actual fill volumes are at various points so I know for sure how much is left when the low fuel light comes on for good.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I posted I had this same problem with a sender that replaced my old one, can you supply us with some details as this may be a solution for me to.