ZX clutch

BX Tech talk
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

ZX clutch

Post by simonineaston »

My woes with my leaky head gasket (see other topics if interested...) continue, however I've had to put the head removal on hold, due to pressing need to complete the redecoration of my bathroom! ... meanwhile a chum who owns a nice lo-milage 1.9 turbo diesel ZX finds her clutch is slipping - my impression is that it's more or less the same engine as the A8A so can I ask you guys: Can my mate get her clutch adjusted or will it have to be replaced?
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Unless the clutch pedal is coming up really high and hitting the limit of its travel the plate's worn out or something similar has happened.

As the plate wears the biting point rises - and on some vehicles (and I'm not sure about ZX - there seems no real limit on ours) the pedal reaches the upper limit of its travel - so restricting full engagement.

The usual trouble with these is that when the clutch is replaced the cable isn't adjusted and the floor gets in the way of full disengagement making gear selection difficult.

These clutches can last a very long time so things like the diaphragm spring fingers wear through, release bearings fail and so on.

New clutches aren't that expensive and while I haven't done one on a BX there seems to be much more room under the bonnet on a ZX.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It is possible you may get some adjustment but unlikely. When they are slipping I've found they're usually buggered. :(