Advice...

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I agree - first check the drive belt to the pump is tight. It must be really tight, far tighter than an alternator belt. At the same time check the alternator belt - it could be the cause of the electrical problems.

If your FDV is painted black you may not have any filters in it! I spent a happy hour or so trying to get one out - then found it wasn't a standard FDV and didn't have a filter, but a pressed in steel cone or something with some holes drilled in it. My own theory for the breakage of the FDV filters is that this largely affects petrol cars and is due to hard reving of the engine from cold.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Sleepy and now to confirm my total lack of mechanical competance: where exactly can I find the item you have described and illustrated? Is it the LHM reservoir under the bonnet? Cheers. I`m not going to attempt flushing the LHM myself btw as I don`t `do` brakes and have no confidence in bleeding the system to get nice clean new LHM running through it.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

it is bolted to the gearbox just above the pressure regulator as you can see it has 5 pipes connected to it and it is bolted on by 2 bolts. this description is for a 1.9 TGD i dont know if it is in the same place on petrol models.
the device in the photo is th FD looking from above the radiator is at the bottom of the picture.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Many thanks, I also have a 1.9TGD diesel so that should be the same. I`ll weigh the job up first I think and see if it`s Cavmadable. Look out for a post from me saying I`ve managed to break the back box exhaust, puncture the tyres and break six fingers if I do attempt it!
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I forgot to mention that access is tight i found it easier to remove the radiator for more space. :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

FDV is a real pig to get at in the car - but the most likely filter to have blocked is the top one which us under one of the pipes coming out of the top, facing the engine I think its the left one. This pipe comes straight from the pump and I think you will need a good quality hex key to get the clamp to the gearbox/engine joint off to get the pipe out. I have done this job without removing the radiator and my car is a TD with an enormously thick radiator.

Having said all that I did find some much in a filter and on removing it it made no difference at all!

jeremy