BX steering pinion overhaul

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

BX steering pinion overhaul

Post by Vanny »

Well im stumped! Got the overhaul kit through today and i really wish i hadn't, theres like a million coloured parts and most of them seem to be identical!

I cant find any topic on how to change them other than in the french forum 'hints and tips', nothing against the description by Alans except it means nothing to me and really doesn't make any sence (probably not helped byt the lack of pictures that are refered too, any ideas where they are? Aussiefrogs perhaps?).

Can anyone explain why i have a million parts, and give me an idiots guide to overhauling the pinion? Im reluctant to pull it apart if i cant get it back together!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I Have one vanny I will scan it and send it to you it has pictures. :D
Sent it to your hotmail address.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If it's the Japanese one, be very careful as there are a couple of wrong things in it.

Firstly, the location of the hard "O" rings is incorrect; they have one out of place. I took a didgital pic of mine when I pulled it out as there are from memory 5 grooves but 3 rings.
Secondly, if you try to use the plastic wrapped and clamped over the "O" rings and wait for them to rsize themselves you'll end up buggering at least one of the "O" rings.
The bearing has to be pulled off the shaft, the rings 'eased' into the cylinder and the bearing refitted after the centre part has been fitted back to the cylinder.
The variety of coloured caps are probably the things that are throwing you; they also threw me, but it seems that the one kit is for a variety of models and the trick is that you match the colour; if (as mine did) has a brown dust cap, that's the colour you fit. Personally, I can't see what difference there is. Maybe the French are into colour co ordinates for mechanical things these days?
Problem I had with the pics was that I had them attached to a website that has since closed and as a result, the pics went with it. I'll try and sort it as soon as I get time.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Thanks alan it sur sounds like the one I sent vanny so i will make these corrections on mine. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

For those who don't have it, here's the Japanese website so if used in conjunction my write up, it should all make sense.

http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m23e.html

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hmmm why do i think the seals are never going to reform back to the original shape? I REALLY hope the magic car fairy fixes them overnight, ive laid bxclub stickers either side of the pinion in some hope that it will bring in the fairies, like a homing beacon!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If you use the trick I mentioned in my write up, it's a non event.
Cut a piece of plactic from the outside of a sealed parts container, form it to a funnel and hold it down one end with a jubillee clip. Spray with silicone, slide the O ring/seal onto it, then pull the funnel back until the end is level with the groove it's to fit into and allow it to slip off and straight into the selected groove. Do that with all of them. Then slip the cone over the outside and fit a second jubillee clip and place the lot in the freezer preferrably overnight. Remove the plastic next morning and Silicone grease or spray the seals and the throat of the cylinder they go into. Carefully ease each one into the cylinder until all are in there. Then and only then, replace the bearing which should be removed before you start fitting the new parts.
Try to do it as that site suggests and you'll be there for hours and stuff all the seals in the process. (Don't ask me how we know) :shock: :oops: :oops:

Alan S :wink: :roll:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well did it exactly as per the jap site and it worked a treat, all the seals nice and tight by the next morning! Probably helped that the garage was rather cold over night! All in all it seemed a pretty easy job TBH though im not so sure about everyone on the now frenchcarforum recommending everyone and there dog do it, seems a bit of a bal ache really!

Alan, theres two small problems with your write up/method, firstly i have no puller and no way to get the bearing off, and with my previous bearing history i think only a mad man would go near the bastard things. Secondly theres no instruction on how to get the god damn pinion bearing out, took me ages to realise that you need to disconnect the break away joint on the steering shaft! Any whoo i took loads a pictures so fingers crossed i can do a 'pre bearing change' write up!