Sphere removal tool

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Sphere removal tool

Post by ken newbold »

Having seen much discussion over time of what people use for removing spheres, I thought I would show what I use, and its never failed.
It is in fact a plumbers pipe wrench, comes in about 3 different sizes, not cheap (about £25) but it has never failed to remove one.

Last edited by ken newbold on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

That one looks almost identical to the one I use, which came from a car accessory shop in France a number of years ago.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've never failed with the Pleiades tool. Not cheap at around 40quid but breaking loads of chain wrenches makes up for it.
Over and out from me
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

So, Ken, where can we get one?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

This is the strap wrench I use it has never failed me, It is german made.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Grace
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Grace »

Another possible is a Boa strap tool (less than a tenner).

You could make something similar from an old cam belt and a suitable piece of tubing or stout wood.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I got this one from a tool/plumbers merchant in Leeds, but I'm sure they'll be available nationwide from all good tool merchants.
HowieD

Re: Sphere removal tool

Post by HowieD »

ken newbold wrote:Having seen much discussion over time of what people use for removing spheres, I thought I would show what I use, and its never failed.
It is in fact a plumbers pipe wrench, comes in about 3 different sizes, not cheap (about £25) but it has never failed to remove one.

I have one similar and it works better with a section of bike inner tube wrapped around the sphere.

Regards
Howie
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I understand the Citroen-approved tool of some years back was a Facom chain wrench - an ex-Citroen mechanic I have used in Fareham demonstrated his to me some time back, and I'm sure the BX workshop manual illustrates one in use.

The Pleiades tool I bought a couple of years back on Ebay has served me well, backed up with additional use of a large stilson (braced against the ground to anchor rotating rear cylinders), appreciation of opposing forces, gravity, and patience! I also created an impromptou but effective t-shaped extension bar for the tool by angle-grinding the bottom end off an upright from a folding exercise bike.

I've often thought that the larger boa-constrictor tool could do the job, as Grace confirms, though I'd be reluctant to trust it on a rear sphere.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sleepy's one looks like an Elora which is imported (or used to be) by Draper - who have an on-line catalogue.

The Citroen Hydarulic BX manual on Bob Smith's site shows a large chain wrench - I can't recall if its the double chain type.

I've used a Boa and have removed front spheres with it - I won't say more. I now have a device i made which is a band of steel welded on opposite sides of the hex bar from an old oil filter chain wrench - welded so that they 'wrap' when force is applied - never failed and doesn't fall off!

jeremy
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I built one on the weekend from a 2' long piece of 3/4" iron pipe for the handle and a piece of 3/8" threaded rod bent around a sphere and inserted through two holes I drilled in the pipe with nuts/washers on the ends. Put it around a sphere, tighten the nuts up to snug the threaded rod onto the sphere and give it a good yank (or hit with a hammer if need be) and the spheres turn. Cost me $14 Aud and about 20 minutes or so of time.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

THe only problem with my giant chain wrench is that its chain is a very snug fit between the Acc sphere and the block, so I have been forced to use the hammer and chisel method sometimes.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I use my own set of these

5 spheres down and undefeated, and that includes one rear sphere (was a bit of an accident, i swang on it coing out from under the car and it came off in my hand!)

i find the boa's just spin on pretty much everything but the loosest of jar lids, they certainly have there place if you cant get a good hold of things, but i find them generally useless! That said, how big is a big one?

roll on the cheesy puns!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Stewart, this chain wrench of mine will just go between the engine and acc on BX but not on the Xantia (cant blame it really) :P
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Why not put the chain wrench round the centre weld? - That's where you have to put the Boa or strap wrench.

Jeremy