Door hinge pin removal

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Door hinge pin removal

Post by Jaba »

What tool do I need to get to remove the hinge pins and the door stay too??

I see that both Sealey and Draper sell kits and pins but having never seen or used one I am not sure what to get and what size is appropriate.

I have measured the o.d of a pin and it looks like 6mm. Any advice please, I dont want to just hammer them out. I am too nice and gentle for that :twisted:
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I use about 400mm of M6 threaded bar it worked for me it then cost me £1 for 10 door pins. :D since then I have now bought the proper tool from Portland tools.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The Kit I used was a steel bar with a slot in one end and some steel pins, the steel pins are inserted through the hinge pin and a small knurled nut screwed on, the bar is then added with the pin in the slot, a tap on the bar with a hammer then has the effect of pulling the pin downwards, there were different sizes of pin in the kit and the pins were available separately the BX needed the thinnest pins in the box and they were looking a bit the worse for wear after swapping four doors, sorry I forget the brand but the kit was easy to use, sorry about the rambling description :shock:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

thats the same tool as i have bought and it is made by sykes-pickavan.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thanks BX crazies (and other respondents) I have ordered the appropriate tool from Draper for next day delivery.

Does it work on the much shorter and more flimsy door stay/check strap as well ??
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.