BX windcreens.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

BX windcreens.

Post by cavmad »

Does anyone know if they are bonded? I`m going to need one fairly soon and I`m thinking of visiting a breakers with a lad I know who`s an ex-windscreen fitter if I can get hold of him. Are they easy to get out? I don`t really want to claim on my insurance (long story) so breakers seems best option.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you'll need the magic tools to cut the bonding layer out (black mastic type stuff) but theres not a lot of room and if you put pressure on it then it will go pop (really cool on rear screens, not so impressive on front screens). Most places will make you pay first before you try to get it out, and of course you'll need the magic gun of unexplainable black stuff to stick it back down. Difficult job to do really, but if you have a friend in the know maybe not so hard?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Vanny, and also thanks for the reply to my gearbox question. I`m going to try and obtain all the parts I need to get mine sorted then I`ll give you a call if that`s o.k?
I reckon it should be fit `as is` for the holiday so it`ll give me a chance to save up and get the required parts. I think I may have a clutch sourced for it and then I`ll have a riad of scrappies for such parts as interior etc.
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you are after an interior you might be interested in mine from my spares car (black/white velour from a TZD turbo). Only catch is, I might need to drive the car afterwards so would need your driver's seat in exchange!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The black stuff is "Sikaflex" cost about £8-12 per tube. 1 tube will do almost 2 windscreens but it goes off so you end up throwing almost half away. This stuff is easier to use when heated first.
Screens can be cut out with a length of serated wire, available from a good motor factor supplies for about £4 per coil (10m) handles for the above are daft money £30 odd quid :o so I made my own out of a broom handle with a hole drilled through so the wire can be wrapped around it.

Getting your old screen out (when not reusing it) they normally cut it out with a special blade knife.
All in all, not a job for the faint-hearted.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Mat if your planning on driving that car you dont want one of Cavmads seats, theyve totally had it, but i can lay my hands on some nice front seats for your rolling shed (i've got a 1.4 St Tropez being used as a rolling shed, some kids tried to rob it the other day (it lives in bury) and one of the locals questioned the kids and what they where doing. Hard arsed little tykes told the guy they where trying to break in and to sod off, the guy explained they where never gonna suceed, they started mouthing off about how they could easily hotwire it and they knew all about car electrics, it was then explained it had no battery and they should 'leave')

yeah got a spare seat and can take to cavmad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:

yeah got a spare seat and can take to cavmad
Thanks, that would be better/safer than a large cushion on the floorpan...
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Vanny wrote: some kids tried to rob it the other day (it lives in bury) and one of the locals questioned the kids and what they where doing. Hard arsed little tykes told the guy they where trying to break in and to sod off, the guy explained they where never gonna suceed, they started mouthing off about how they could easily hotwire it and they knew all about car electrics, it was then explained it had no battery and they should 'leave')
Sounds like these li'l tikes could benefit from a spot of "Bush counselling" which is best described as being administered via baseball bats, dogs that bite and the occasional gun shot wound. :shock: :shock:
It's the kind of language they seem to have little problem understanding and tends to remove the incentive to return.
If reported to the constabulary, the counsellors tend to suffer from acute cases of Altzheimers..."those little children must be mistaken; I've never seen them before in my life. What happened sonny, did you fall off yer bike?" :lol: :lol:

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.