Sticking Speedo

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Sticking Speedo

Post by tim leech »

As it says, the tgs one sticks at 40mph and wont go above it, you then have to give the dash pod a good hard tap for it to go back to zero even when stationary or pressing the reset on the trip meter does the same job!

Is it possible to lubricate it?, I have a bnib speedo I can fit but as its done intergalactic mileage I want to try and retain the original speedo for posterity, and see if I can get up to 250000 miles before I sell it on.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You haven't got much to loose - although it would be possible to set the replacement speedo to the correct mileage (I think you have to push the digits backwards - when its a ratchet mechanism.

Access may well be by undoing the screws visible in the dial and pulling it out of its housing. The problem is that unless you have the right screwdriver you'll bruise the screws which will show. Its probably then a case of a clean and very gentle lubrication with single drops of machine oil - no sprays!

The thing works by magnetic attraction of the disc attached to the pointer - so the cable revolves a magnet - which attracts the weakly magnetic disc attached to the pointer. The disc may well be something not normally regarded as magnetic like aluminum (Its probably 35 years since I last looked at the theory of the things).

The significance is that there are 2 sets of bearings - the one at the end of the cable which is greased and will rumble if its dry - and a more delicate one supporting the pointer and the disc and spring attached to it. It's probably this bearing which is causing the problem - so lubricating the cable end one won't make any difference.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Jeremy, I do have another used speedo with 300000 miles on it which is untested but thats probably worn out!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

double woops!
Last edited by tim leech on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Woops again!
Last edited by tim leech on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Ahem, triple echo this time :o

Why dont u try what i did which worked perfectly. My speedo trip was bust, so got a 2nd hand unit & took the original drum off the bust one & swapped it over onto the speedo that worked.

Now before anyone says "oh i've tried that & i could get the mileage right as it rotated whilst i was pushing it back", just use some sellotape to allign the correct mileage up, then slot back in, pull sellotape off & voila, sorted.....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Sorted, used the speedo head from the spare pod and took it to bits and alligned all the numbers, scary how easy it is to give a bx a "haircut".

Will stick it in tomorrow and see if it works, will change the cable at the same time.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I discovered that a longtime ago on how easy BX Haircuts are. Its one of the principle reasons I dont believe the BX I have is showing the true reading. That and the service sticker that said 180,000km on it when the car had 169,000 :roll: Trouble is over in this country you do a MOT every six months with its past records it does not show anything as obvious. Yet another reason I believe for the speed error reading I have.

The other question is who has speedo needle twitch?

The 19TRS I have I think is the first BX I have had that has not had a slight twitch in fact its smooth as. The 16RS I have which has 280,000km on it has the phantom twitch. What causes that any ideas?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The speedo cable matey, as it was designed as left hand drive car and thats where the cable exits through the bulkhead its a much longer cable which is at a angle, putting a Kink in the cable after a while.

I changed mine tonight and the old one had 3 pronounced kinks in it, will see tomorrow when I put it back together if its works.

The mileage on the TGS of 246000 miles is correct as its backed up by every MOT and some history, plus you wouldnt clock a car with that miles on!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Job Done! :D
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

6am this morning went to get the TRS out of its Garage and what a bugger it was to start, time for a service me thinks.

Anyways 6am a day out from the shortest day down here in New Zealand means its Dark add to that its winter and last couple of days its been bloomin frosty in the morning as in -5c :shock:

So off we go down the road keeping a eye out for the little ice traps and slippery patches :wink: Whats the speedo cable doing?

Making that familier clicking and a slight wobble perceptable, first time its ever done that but then the first time its been used in such prolonged cold conditions. Disapeared once things warmed up :?

Nearly got caught by one of those frosty patches :oops: 8mm of tyre tread on ice does not guarentee grip :wink: Ironically my pager for the Fire Service went off a few hours later. A van had managed to find that frost patch and ended up off the road, not surprising he had near bald front tyres :( No one hurt.

Yes Tim I forgot about the cable being threaded differantly. First BX I have encountered thats got a all in one cable the others I have had have been splits.