Gearboxes.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Gearboxes.

Post by cavmad »

Are the ratios pretty much the same on all models? After the wonderful ratio (and gear changes) on my old 1.7 n/a diesel the 1.9 estate seems to have quite a low top gear and I keep looking for another, higher, gear even at about 65-70mph. O.K it pulls well in top but I don`t go racing round everywhere and do mostly motorway work and would like a higher ratio top gear for fuel consumption and lower noise at 70mph.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

get a turbo 5th gear cog, its the only one thats easy to change, but given your luck with self harm, maybe its one for the garage!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the plain diesel estates had different 4th and 5th gears - a Citroen habit that spread to some of the petrols. The reason presumably is so that they go better when laden. This means that a saloon gearbox or even a Zx one may be better.

Our ZX 1.9D goes very well in 4th and 5th and is quiet at an indicated 80 or more all day. So far as I know it is exactly the same mechanically as a late BX 1.9D so I wonder if you have another source of noise or an insulation problem.

jeremy