A heads up for anyone doing an engine rebuild.

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

A heads up for anyone doing an engine rebuild.

Post by AlanS »

Just finished a full rebuild of a DKZ engine out of a TZi which is a 1.9 petrol but I'd reckon this would apply to either petrol or diesel in the same situation.

As has been reported many times, the DKZ engine as fitted to the TZi and the Tri-122 seemed to have a problem with burning oil. This seemed to be particularly common in low mileage cars and/or ones that did most of their early running in a city environment. It seems that a combination of glazed bores and unusual ring design were the major contributing factors to this annoying problem, so when I did mine, I used a different style of ring and honed the bore.
When the bore was honed, I used various lubricants but tried to get a fairly well scuffed surface as I'd been advised by both general engine rebuilders as well as Cit enthusiasts who knew the problems. I was also aware of how much cleaning would be required to avoid the honing to continue after the engine was assembled. :shock: :oops:
Each liner and piston was washed in degreaser which was then washed off with petrol, then rewashed and wiped, followed by another petrol washing, blown dry by compressed air and then wiped over with a heavy oil. Prior to reassembly, all again washed and blown dry and lubed prior to assembly, so no doubts thet were as clean as was humanly possible.
Using an old trick we've used for yonks, I then filled the engine with a cheap shitty brand of oil and started the engine and let it run on and off for about 30/40 minutes, then I drained the crap oil out. It came out looking like irridescent paint. :shock: I also whipped off the filter and drained it and again a solid silver look in the oil residue was evident.
I replaced the crap oil with a genuine Running in oil, SAE30 and a new filter. That will stay in for possible 1000/2000 klms after which I'll replace it with a 15W50 oil and then after a couple of thousand, that will also be replaced with a top quality 10W40 Semi synthetic and at each change I'll be fitting a new filter.
Might sound a bit radical, but it seems that the new rings had really taken to bedding in on this roughened bore surface as there's absolutely no blow back or smoke and the engine is as quiet as a church mouse, but based on what I saw come out on that initial oil dump, I think it's a good investment for a long engine life. Abrasives floating around in any engine can only do harm.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.