URGENT! Exhaust help needed...

BX Tech talk
PiLsY.
BXpert

URGENT! Exhaust help needed...

Post by PiLsY. »

Hi all. The ticket is due on the GTI on friday and I've got a bloody great crack where the front box joins the front pipe. Its been repaired already with gun gum and its this that's failed. Is this front box a cat or just a silencer? I've been looking for a replacement on the internet and I only seem to be able to find Cat's. Its an '88 GTI, so I would've thought that its pre-cat? The only replacements I've been able to find are in the region of £225 - £250 plus vat which is just too much.

Any ideas where I could go to get one or any possible fixes I could try? Ideally I want it replaced, but at over £200 you can forget it. I was thinking more like £50 max :shock: .

Good news is as far as I know the rest of the car is fine, and the exhaust mid and back have recently been done.

Cheers,

Matt.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

From what I've been able to find GSF and Euro etc only list the cat as fitted from Jan '90 onwards. However, the part for pre '90 is just a pipe with no silencer/box and I definitely have one there.

Confused now?!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'm certain my mate has a brand new one of these in store some where.

Yes it is just a silencer, we are in wakefield by the way.
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Matt, I DID have an exhaust for a BX but unsure if it's still about. Text me about 7.00pm mate and I'll go and have a look. Failing that Vanny might have one and failing that (again) have you tried CES on Bumpers Lane? They are usually very good at getting all manner of exhaust parts.
Vauxhall apologist.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

I've had a couple of quotes in from 247spares. Both seem to agree that the front pipe and silencer are one piece, whereas mine is clearly joined. The first quote was for £111.07 + VAT + Delivery from CES, the second was for £70 + vat incl delivery from car parts warehouse.

Does this seem about right?

Ken, could you check with me whether your mate has one and if its an all-in-one front and silencer or just silencer. Also price? Sorry for all the questions and cheers for the help!

Billy - I'll give you a shout a bit later, cheers mate.

Thanks all...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You can download a complete parts book for petrol cars from here:

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm

It is in English - Katalog is the parts book.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

That catalogue only seems to list catalytic converters, not front silencers.

If this is just a silencer then I assume there'd be no problem just fitting a straight through pipe and leaving it out altogether? Shouldn't affect emissions or back pressure I don't think? Any opinions, am I way off the mark here?

[EDIT to save spamming] Found this which shows the part I need I think, but surprise surprise, no stock that I can find anywhere. May have a laugh and phone citroen.

Part 95632640 is the one I need i think...

And if I wanted to just use a straight through pipe instead of the silencer I should get hold of part number 95604837?

Cheers,

Matt.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: URGENT! Exhaust help needed...

Post by Way2go »

PiLsY. wrote:Any ideas where I could go to get one or any possible fixes I could try? Ideally I want it replaced, but at over £200 you can forget it. I was thinking more like £50 max :shock: .
Cheers,

Matt.
Pipe & box for my GTi is one piece and they can fall apart through corrosion in front of the front box which is why a repair has probably been attempted on yours.:(

Replacement (fitted) of complete front pipe & box for mine was £87-50 inc VAT by Kwik-fit in September '85. :D Kwik-fit part number is CI154. (Description BXSPORT 2.0 8693 SFP)

Good Luck,
1991 BX19GTi Auto
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Dunno why, but I edited my post again before and its gone? Anyway, I reckon the pipe on the bottom diagram above is too different. Looks like the bore is smaller as its for a TZI not a GTI. Other component numbers are different too.

Bloody hell if kwik-fit charged £87.50 in 1985 itd be about £300 now! If they even sell them still... Will call in tomorrow and find out - there's one on my way to work. Cheers :wink: .

I'm straying towards removing it and sticking a piece of straight pipe in instead. I'd be a lot more confident of that lasting than patching up the old one. The repair to it as is just seems to consist of lathering the front of it in gun-gum. Until I chip it all away then I won't know how bad it is. Can't risk doing that until I've got a definite fix though.

Will double check the part number with car parts warehouse tomorrow, but if removing it altogether is an option I'd much rather do that. In all honesty its really not noisy now - I can't imagine it'd be any worse with the silencer out and a pipe in its place. Opinions?

Cheers,

Matt.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If the current exhaust on your car is cracked rather than rotten, then the simple answer would seem to be to get it welded. Gun gum and other exhaust pastes are a load of rubbish IMO. They always last about 20 seconds before cracking up/burning off etc.

If there's a reasonable amount of metal there, a decent dodgy back-street garage should be able to weld it back together. I recently discovered a number of holes in the DTR turbo's exhaust. About an hour of arseing about later it has plenty of welding, and no holes. In fact, it doesn't even have any joint brackets any more, as they broke as they came off, and some of the welding was too close to them to be able to re-use... so the whole lot is welded together, joints and all. Possibly the only BX with a one-piece exhaust system.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

PiLsY. wrote:Bloody hell if kwik-fit charged £87.50 in 1985 itd be about £300 now! If they even sell them still... Will call in tomorrow and find out - there's one on my way to work. Cheers :wink: .

Matt.
Bloody 'ell indeed! :oops: That'll teach me to re-read what I type! :wink:

Bought it in September 2005 so price should not be too bad. :D Tell 'em that you know I paid this 18 months ago. :wink: 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Ah thats a bit better :).

I'll see if I can get some quotes for welding, but there may be a bit of a plan coming together to get it sorted.

Still planning to cover all eventualities, but I should be able to get something sorted.

To be honest just gungum and a plate to get it through the MOT would do. I can plan what I'm going to do to sort it once its ticketed that way instead of rushing it all a couple of days before the test and ending up wasting money or bodging something that I'll regret later.

Matt.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Try e-bay, there are normally quite a few brand new exhaust parts for sale at reasonable prices....
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Don't know if this is any use for you......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-1-9-gt ... dZViewItem

Might be worth a message to the seller!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Are 8 and 16 valve front sections the same??????????