URGENT! Exhaust help needed...

BX Tech talk
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Unfortunately not as far as I can see, but as you can tell from the topic I'm hardly the most qualified to say so. Still very much in the learning curve here...

GTI 8v part number : 95632640
GTI 16v part number:95640233

However, as to whether they'd fit and the 16v was just an upgraded silencer I don't know. Everything from the front silencer backwards is the same though, so I know it'll fit in that direction. I'm a bit wary though about messing up the back pressure by fitting the wrong silencer, plus if the downpipe doesn't meet up with the front pipe I'm royally screwed.

Cheers for the help so far lads.

Matt.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

No, no they're not! Although I've asked the seller if it's a proper 16v pipe with the splitter, or just a ghey pipe from bodgefit, if it's the genuine article, my clicking finger will be clicking!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Mat, I'll pm you shortly. Vanny thinks he MIGHT be able to help sometime today. Are ou working all day? If not let me know asap and I'll dig the exhaust out of the garage so you can modify it if needed.
Vauxhall apologist.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

As it happens I can actually get the day off today. I've got the morning booked off to pick someone up from liverpool airport, so I can extend it if I need to to a full day...

Cheers Billy...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

16v down pipe is similar to the 8v, the 16v has a divided front section (to provide true 8-4-2-1) and the manifold connection on the 16v is much bigger (have a look at the brillo pad gasket and you'll see the 8v is the same as the TD but the 16v is larger).

The box underneath the handbrake on both the 16v and 8v is a resonator NOT a silencer (it messes about with the expansion of the exhuast gass to get the correct back pressure) and is not critical. It won't make any difference to the noise and isn't required by law. Its VERY rare to have an 8v with a CAT unless its a 4x4 as they where not required or fitted (the 4x4 has motronic 1.3 management to enable the use of a cat presumably so the car can be sold in Norway/Sweden etc while UK 8v GTi have MP3.1 and didnt include a cat).

Personally (and as advised) i would simply put a front pipe on without a resonator or cut the resonator out and weld it back up!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Vanny, Mat came up this morning and left with a spare (non-BX) exhaust. Hopefully there will be a way of cobbling something together to get his car through the test.
Vauxhall apologist.