Bonnet release

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Bonnet release

Post by Jaba »

My favourite BX - a 1990 GTi is playing up . The bonnet wont open. The catch in the car just wont pull the cable at all.

I have tried many things - removed the RH headlight and pulled on the cable, it wont move either.
I then cut into the black plastic shroud that goes up from the bumper to the top of the fans. This enabled me to see the little release lever where the cable attaches to - see pic.

I have hooked along loop of wire around this and tugged but it is just stuck. I have also inserted a long tyre lever from the front, just below the bonnet up to the release lever and shoved with no joy. This method works on my other BXs so I reckon that the catch is just seized up .

I have tried to get at the catch from behind over the top of the rad. Access is very limited with the GTi inlet manifold and I reckon it would be impossible to undo the two bolts securing the catch from below.

So I am left with the unappealing prospect of cutting the bonnet open.

I am presuming that the catch on the GTi is the same as the one in the pic. The release cable is different. The outer goes almost all the way to the catch on the GTi but ends at the radiator on the later diesels. Is the catch the same though. If not then maybe I am not doing the right thing to force it open.

Anyone had any luck with this problem before ?? Anyone fancy a go at it themselves. I am willing to travel. Anything to save the bonnet. Anything to save the bonnet. Anything to save the bonnet.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

IIRC its the outer part of the cable that releases the latch..

Are you able to get a very long screwdriver to the lever on the bottom of the latch and give it a thump with a hamer? Always worked for me.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Yo Doc - thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried all that I know to open the bonnet. I can do it easily on my other BXs. This one however is stuck solid.

Is the catch mechanism the same on all BXs ? Mine have slightly different outer release cable lengths and terminations. I want to be sure I am doing th eright thing.
The release lever is just solid though.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I have to say mate, I've never seen any changes to the release mechanism on any BX that I've seen.

Ok, this may sound brutal, but have you tried getting someone to hold the release lever out, then bounce very hard on the bonnet in a downward direction, then tug it very hard upwards?

Another way (one I've used before but on a 14 leader) was to get the car in the air, and using a mirror and a VERY long spanner in conjuction with a mirror was to put my arm up behind the rad and using the mirror and witchcraft get the spanner on the bolts that hold the latch to the bonnet and undo them. Although access on a GTi will be much tighter to "get it up there".

I'll give this some ore thought and get back to you mate.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

It depends which of the two pivot points are siezed. It may be that you've move the release lever all the way over, and it has no more travel left, and in actual fact it's the upper pivot (the other shiney rivet in the picture you've posted) that's actually siezed. If so, then with the release lever all the way to the "release" position, you may need to pull up on the bonnet (as Doc suggests) to get the catch to completely release.
this might be a signature
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Yes I have tried tugging the bonnet upwards while pushing on the release lever. I hear slight cracking noises from the resin in the bonnet so dare not use more force.

I think the upper pivot is ok because I can push the bonnet down a bit and it springs back up again - consistent with the spring being tensioned and pushing up on the catch.

I think it is the lower pivot thats stuffed. It is rock solid and wont move at all even when shoved on by my lever.

There is just not enough room to get over the top of the rad and locate the two 13mm fixing bolts. Its a GTi, the inlet manifold is a large one, I have moved the engine back the small distance it will go with the bottom mounting link removed.

I had the bonnet resprayed only recently. I am well fed up with this. So as I said in my first post - anyone else fancy having a go ???
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

can you get a punch of some sort in there to bear against the operating arm, and then tw@ it with a hammer? Even if you damage the catch, at least you haven't damaged the bonnet.

Maybe a length of bar, or an old screwdriver... access through a headlamp hole maybe?
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

If you can't lever a headlamp off with the bonnet shut, could you attach a small sink plunger or a dent puller and then give a sharp tug? I'm sure with the headlights removed there will be a way to do this.

Best of luck!

Mark.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Jaba wrote: So as I said in my first post - anyone else fancy having a go ???
Whereabouts are you mate?

Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Doc - I am twixt Newbury and Oxford. 70 miles from Brizzle.

But as I have mentioned before, I am happy to travel.
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

The thing about this is, it is unusual. I am able to open both my other BXs with a tyre lever from the front of the bonnet.
This one however is just stuck solid. That lever will not move either way.
I will have a go at it from the LH headlamp tomorrow if I can get it off. The RH headlamp came apart during the prising off process so I will naturally be less enthusiastic when I attempt removal of the other one.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, I shant be able to get out your way for a while, things are stoopid busy round here right now, but should be near Bristol or Strouyd at any point then give us a shout. I would PM you my number, but I cant, since my PM has died on here, perhaps Billy or Vanny or someone that has my number could do the honours please?

If you need a spare headlamp I have a small number left in the Stroud area, actually I'd better check since I seem to remember the stash was depleting rapidly!

Hope you get it sorted, but if not I'm around most mornings and most weekends, although there must be a member on here with some expertese closer?? Anyone?

I dont know why but I thought you were in New Zealand! Go figure! I dont even use drugs......

Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Well I have tried everything. The little catch has had a lot of force applied to it and as it wont move to the right and release the bonnet it has started to bend backwards.
What to do ?????????

The bonnet is now marked up for drilling
Shall I use the drill in the picture to irrevocably screw the bonnet - none of the other tools I have used in the pic have worked so far

Doc I haven't heard from anyone about your number so haven't been able to call you.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

WHOA, that thing looks a little extreme mate!!

MY PM function appears to be workng again, so I'll PM you with my number!

Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Doc is a star. My bonnet is now OPEN.
The reason I was failing is that there are two types of catch. The changeover must have been in 1990/1. Yeh, before someone else says it ---theres always a catch !!

The early catch which I was struggling with has the inner cable connected to a fixed bracket and the outer moves the lever which does the opening. I was trying to move this fixed bracket and getting nowhere.

Once we had looked at a catch on Doc's valver we new what to do. It was simply a case of cutting out the plastic fan shroud to get access.

So I must join others in going public with the fact the Doc is a real genuine star. He is prepared to give up his time and share his expertise with other clubbers to help keep the BXs on the road.

So if he ever wants a new hard disk fitted to his PC then I am his man.