Steering.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Steering.

Post by cavmad »

I`m currently experiencing some steering problems-going heavy at times and doesn`t feel too good.
I have seen the cure for this (using Hydraflush and bleeding the LHM via the brakes) but I have a question which is asked in all innocence:
Can the Hydraflush be used without bleeding the brakes? What I was thinking was can I empty the LHM reservoir and fill with the flush, drive the car round the block a few times and operate the suspension on all levels so it circulates through the system then is there a way to empty the reservoir and fill with new LHM?
I have no intention of doing this until/unless I know it is safe, just wondered if anyone thinks this would work or has tried it themselves.
Cheers in advance,
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I would do the brakes as well as the flush has to be in for quite a few miles I had mine in for 3000 miles it was frightening to see the crap it had moved back to the filters . :roll:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks. I`ve since been told it`s more likely it`s the pump that`s the problem.The biggest worry now is whether it`s safe to drive on holiday on holiday next week as it is. I won`t take it if it`s not safe but I can`t afford to get it done either. I may seek out a cheap replacement car for the interim though, over to eBay and some sneaky tactics methinks!
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Changing the pump is easy it doesnt take long its only 2 bolts and 2 pipes i did mine in about 30 minutes.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Does the pump need bleeding after it`s been fitted mate? I think I have a spare with the car, I`ll need to sort out my garage and see if I can find it!
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

yes it will but it isnt that difficult take the pump feed pipe of at the resevoir and using a funnel fill the pump and pipe with lhm then reatatch the pipe start the car let it run for a few minutes then tighten the 12mm bleed screw on the pressure regulator and it should then rise no problem you may need to do this procedure a couple of times to get all the air out of the pump.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I dont know if this job is listed in Haynes but it has to be a 1 spanner task. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou fellas. Now to be a pain can someone please tell me exactly where the pump is situated (and apolgies if I`ve asked that before!) or even better had someone a diagram they could post up please? It`s 1.9 TGD diesel estate if it makes any odds, about a `91/`92.
I`m going to see if I have a spare pump which I`m told I have and work in conjunction with a local garage to get it done.
Off outside in a minute to bodge the passenger door glass back up. I obviously need a longer piece of wood!
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The pump on the diesel sits over the gearbox in the middle of the engine/gearbox unit and is driven by a pulley on the end of the camshaft. Diesel pumps are not interchangeable with any others.

If I haven't said it before - make sure the belt is really tight and in good condition.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Jeremy, just had a quick look and found the offending item. The steering is going from loose to tight whenever it feels like it and I`m unsure about how safe the car is to use. Suspension rises and falles effortlessly and brakes are fine but I`m still concerned.
Would I be correct in assuming there`s a chance the steering may fail altogther and cause an accident? If I just lose the power assistance I won`t worry too much I could live with that for a shortwhile but don`t want the car to lose all steering (obviously!).
Any thoughts/advice would be very gratefully received.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Sounds like crap floating around in the system, the power steering fault you describe often disappears following a major LHM leak or event, try loosening the pressure relese bolt and letting the brute idle for a few minutes then tightening it up again, if not then its hydraflush for you my lad! If you are stuck then I have a few spare pumps, its also worth digitally checking the LHM level. 8)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

The pump change is not difficult, even a one-spannered mechanic like myself can manage it!

I have had heavy steering in mine since I bought it and am developing a big set of shoulders from hauling it around. It's not a safety issue and has passed the MOT. It does detract from driving it as a whole, and as it's not the pump that's the prob, I need to now look at refurbing the pinion valve and/or the FDV. As these are both fiddly jobs, I've put it all on the long finger....
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You won't lose the steering completely as there always has to be a mechanical link between the wheels and the steering wheel.

However, it's not a nice feeling - I had the same problem with mine briefly and almost hit a kerb when the assistance suddenly came back. Mine was cured by pumping the height up and down a few times and then draining + refilling with fresh LHM.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Sounds like crap floating around in the system, the power steering fault you describe often disappears following a major LHM leak or event, try loosening the pressure relese bolt and letting the brute idle for a few minutes then tightening it up again, if not then its hydraflush for you my lad! If you are stuck then I have a few spare pumps, its also worth digitally checking the LHM level. 8)
Stewart
Thanks to all (again). Stewart, where can i find this pressure relief bolt you mentioned please? I`m happy to try that first and if no improvement I`ll get the holiday out of the way and then try and get it done properly-assuming I haven`t sold it before I get round to fixing the problem (see BX`s for sale and wanted).
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Look down the front of the motor, see where the Accumulator sphere is? on one of the blocks of gubbins there you will see a smooth headed 12mm bolt facing forwards (pointing at yer knees) its about the only 12mm thing down there, if you loosen it three quarters of a turn you should hear the sound of pressure squelching back to the reservoir (engine off) just loosen it and let the car idle for a minute or two.
DO THIS FROM ABOVE, THE CAR SHOULD DROP AND WILL SQUASH YOU.
Have fun!
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft