Its in for its MOT.... *Now Passed!*

BX Tech talk
PiLsY.
BXpert

Its in for its MOT.... *Now Passed!*

Post by PiLsY. »

Well, RLO has gone in for its MOT. Waiting to hear back on what its failed on (fog lights and driving lamps packed up at some point over the last week - the switches don't even light anymore so I know its definitely failed).

Packed the exhaust with putty, hopefully that'll sort the leak. Replaced the washer bar with a halfords £1.50 generic jet, replaced rear discs and pads and front nearside pads (did drivers side last weekend).

Fingers crossed that theres nothing else major lurking behind the scenes.

Matt.
Last edited by PiLsY. on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Failed!

Foglight bulb gone - happy days, nothing major there.

Petrol cap locking ring - didn't realise this was a fail! It was rusty as shite and fell off on Tuesday when I opened it to fill up. Now desperate for this. I have until Monday night to register for a free re-test, so I need to get this sorted this weekend.

And thats it! The putty did the job on the exhaust, brakes perfect, suspension perfect - emissions noted as "excellent - as new!" on the sheet. No advisorys. Get in!

Any suggestions for the locking ring?

Matt.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My 16TGS failed on the same thing matey, you can get them from citroen but only as part of the new filler neck, when I ordered one it was showing "back ordered".

They are easy to get off as its 3 screws, you ar ebetter off changing the whole top half of the filler of another car as I did (thanks Artic!)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well done RLO - not bad considering.

Hopefully you can get it sorted by Monday :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If you hav ethw old ones and your handy with a welder you could maybe weld some lugs on it to screw the screws into.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Weld a petrol tank component? I'd have thought was akin to smearing yourself in meat fat and having a game of football in the lion's enclosure at Knowsley safari park with 'chase me you f*ck*rs' written on your back.

Matt, have spoken to Vanny this afters, said he would call you. Quite a result on the failures, not too bad at all really.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i text him some abuse, but nothing came of it! Up shot it i'm pretty sure i have the vital component however i am away for the weekend. We shall see!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If anybody can, Vanny can. Hopefully he's kept your number in his phone this time Vanny!

Russet brown.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

cavmad wrote:Weld a petrol tank component? I'd have thought was akin to smearing yourself in meat fat and having a game of football in the lion's enclosure at Knowsley safari park with 'chase me you f*ck*rs' written on your back.

Matt, have spoken to Vanny this afters, said he would call you. Quite a result on the failures, not too bad at all really.
I would have assume everyone would have the common sense to remove the petrol filler from the car first billy! :shock:
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

I've received no textual abuse today? Who've you texted mate?

:lol:

Matt.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

tim leech wrote:
cavmad wrote:Weld a petrol tank component? I'd have thought was akin to smearing yourself in meat fat and having a game of football in the lion's enclosure at Knowsley safari park with 'chase me you f*ck*rs' written on your back.

I would have assume everyone would have the common sense to remove the petrol filler from the car first billy! :shock:
You would think so but then when I worked in service stations the amount of geniuses filling the cars up whilst smoking and now I am in the volunteer Fire Service can say not everyone is bright :cry:
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Tim, never EVER assume anything where Billy and common sense is concerned... :lol:

I think I'm going to have a go at getting the reserve tank and filler neck off the tzd so I can see what's what. If I can I'll use that to get it through its test?

Whats a Service Brake by the way? Is that the handbrake?

Matt.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Service brake is the footbrake.

Polyester resin used to be insoluble in leaded petrol whereas epoxy was soluble. I'm not sure what happens with unleaded, but I used to seal rusty tanks with the stuff.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cavmad wrote:If anybody can, Vanny can.
Yes you Dorothy i can, but only if i can be bothered (and assuming i'm not avin 'oops).

I sent abuse to the number billy gave me, but as he seemed to be walking through a car wash at the time god only knows what number he gave me!

Actually going by my call record, unless you've got two numbers a certain biscuit tin opener round here has given me the wrong number. The one billy gave me today ends in a 812 and i reckon yours should be 172, hows that with you? Chocolate?
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

Well apparently my service brake is at 50% efficiency, yet I can stop on a dime even with 3 adults, a child and a boot full of beer, so I dunno what that's about?

Also have exhaust blowing from front box and both centre joints as an advisory and handbrake close to end of reserve travel.

Will investigate sunday morning.

Matt,