oil filters

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

oil filters

Post by toddao »

got hold of a Purflux oil filter which on the box says it's suitable only for BX14's , then it goes on to list the diesel 205s,305s etc which is the XUD?. It's smaller than the Purflux I've got on there at the moment. My other 1.9 has a small Bosch filter fitted. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and fit this smaller Purflux. Anyone know what's going on with these different sizes..? Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its probably simply a smaller filter. I expect the other vehicles you list had 3,000 mile oil change intervals
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Whats the number on it Todd?
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The filter maker should have a specs sheet on his filters.
We can't readily access Purflex over here without either dragging them from interstate and paying exhorbitant prices for them, so we need to improvise.
Info you need is anti back drain valve and pressure by pass relief figure; too high and it may not by pass if needed and too low it will mean much if not all of the oil will be missing the filter
IIRC a figure of around 30psi is required for most BX and Xantia engines. Another trap is the actual diameter of the filter as there's 2 that will fit the specs for a BX and one is about 2mm too wide and fouls on a bolt, but you can't see this when fitting and wonder why the thread won't start.
This filter will fit a Xantia and I think a Tri but not a 16V or a DKZ series engine.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I don't have the number here but I found out it was the wrong one. Had to improvise a piece of 8mm bar to get the sump plug off ( that square head? Is that on all BXs) then drained it and the the smaller filter doesn't go. Different thread.
Went on my bike to the local retired Citroen guy who insisted he couldn't help me. I rumaged around his workshop and found a Purflux item. Box said : XM 24v, Jumpy etc. But it had M20 inscribed on it like the one I'd taken off. Smaller one has 3/4 inscribed (?).
Other one fits and number matches the removed item. Ready to go again..
Last edited by toddao on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You can download an oil filter catalogue here and as its a PDF you can search it to produce a full lust of applications for a particular filter etc.

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/WIX.pdf
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

jeremy wrote:produce a full lust
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I keep hoping!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I thought he was a Kiwi for a moment there. :shock:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Naw he'd be going fushing :lol:
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

AlanS wrote:I thought he was a Kiwi for a moment there. :shock:

Huh?

Talking of part numbers! Replaced the Termostat on my 19 but what a mission finding the right list.
According to the guide the BX1600 was also the 16V :? The 1900 was only made from 1988-1990 :? Ok so got one and it does fit looks the same. Hope its is right :lol:

The gasket well thats another story! Completely not for a BX :roll:

Origin of theses parts?

Australia :roll: :lol:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

AlanS wrote:I thought he was a Kiwi for a moment there. :shock:

(That was to keep the "fesh an' chups" the "six/sux/sex" "dovastated" & "swimming purl" company. Aussies can't say things like that; very hard when talking through yer nose.) :lol:

Mate, getting stuff from over here, do you have the contact details for Caravelle Imports?
I understand he sells the genuine Purflux for about the same as the Ryco.
Don't buy in Sydney whatever you do as there's a couple there who I've heard of charging up to $45 each for them.
Ken at Caravelle is a nice guy and a pleasure to deal with. I don't know if he'd send over there but I can see no reason why he wouldn't.

Alan S
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Hi Alan, I bite my tongue on commenting on the Kiwi dialect incase any read this :lol:

Not so much having a problem getting the parts just getting the right parts. The gasket I had said made in Australia which according to the parts guide provided by said supplier is the right part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

kiwi wrote:Replaced the Termostat on my 19
Taking on an Irish accent now???

(Sorry, I shouldn't take the mick out of spelling mistakes - it's all tongue in cheek really :wink: )
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Does anyone know if the oil filters are the same for a 93tzd turbo & a 90Gti (8Valve)?

Reason for asking is that i got a filter for the TZD, & its different to the one i had purchased for the Gti, but on inspecting the filter already on the Gti it appears smaller than the one i have.

I bought a purflux LS468A, on the packaging it indicates it will fit the Gti, but i dont think it will. Any ideas anyone? Cheers