oil filters

BX Tech talk
M

Post by M »

I do know the one specified for the HDi 2.0 with the non return valve also fits the XUD engines, I have used them in the past on the 1.9D
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

providing the non-return valves, fittings etc are the same the size of the filter will only affect the time it takes to clog - which means that a bigger filter will last longer before it clogs.

The Wix catalogue I have quoted above lists one for all BX. This doesn't mean that every filter for BX besides 14 will fit all - it I was a filter manufacturer catering for the replacement rather than OE market I'd probably be greatly concerned to reduce stock lines - so for example I'd delete the smaller filters that shared fittings valves etc with larger ones.

Manufacturers are concerned with fractions of pence per filter, mechanics are only concerned about getting one that does the job at a reasonable but not precise price.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I think most filters these days have the non return valve, but the by pass pressure is the one you need to be checking.
These engines run a pretty high oil pressure, so much so that we had one generic brand over here (specs unknown) that we had fitted to a CX engine that was being tuned on the computer one night, that blew the "O" ring from the outside sealing surface and pumped an engine dry, so one with an extremely low by pass pressure (which many have) could easily end up pumping unfiltered oil right through the entire system.
I raised this point over here a couple of years back when we began getting "Purflex" filters made in all kinds of places and I requested technical specs for them, but was told by a few that "they're Purflex; they're the ones to use" but nobody could come up with specs for the various ones, something other manufacturers can supply.
The other option of course is if the by pass pressure is too high, then there's a chance of blockage, although unless the oil pressure was way down to start with is possibly never going to happen with one of these engines, but who knows?

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Not sure if these posts have answered my question or not, what i meant by size was the width not the length, oooh errrr....:shock:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

According to "the powers that be" a.k.a. ditributors of oil filters, they reckon the actual volume isn't an issue and if the "O" ring fits the surface it's supposed to seal on, that's all that is required as regards physical dimensions.
It seems modern thinking is to go for a smaller filter to keep more oil in the engine rather than sitting in the filter and thereby not risking starvation on starts up (I know they have the anti drain back valve, but they don't seem to show all that much confidence in their efficiency) as the smaller volume would mean it has less to make up in the fiter region, which to me seems a bit strange as makers go for longer service cycles, but that's what I was told when I questioned the difference between an old and new Purflex and also Ryco filters, so it seems that providing the internal specs are right, that's all you need to bother about as regards dimensions.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Everyone seems to recommend purflux, are framm a good alternative??