TD clutch?

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

TD clutch?

Post by mountainmanUK »

Searching for options for a clutch kit for Monica (17TXD turbo), and I noticed Euro Car Parts have a GST version for £35, whereas the other option (unnamed, but could be Valeo) is "unavailable" at just over £70. :shock:

Anyone know the difference, or if the GST kit would be OK?
I would normally choose a Valeo kit, but really considering the other options, pricewise!
:wink:
Cheers
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

VALEO only option
They think it's all over, it is now!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Thanks for that Ken!
I'm in no real rush to sort it, so I can afford the time to find a cheaper Valeo, or work a few hours more overtime! :shock:

IIRC, did someone on here say they had an engine hoist that could be hired/borrowed?
I'm thinking of using a couple of days out of my hols (end of July) to do the clutch and timing belt at the same time, possibly octopus too, if funds allow!
:wink:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I have one and Billy has one I understand. Not required to do the clutch but it might make life easier. Or are you planning to lift the engine out?

LUK clutches are OK and come with the same warranty. I think the last Valeo I bought was £65 + vat.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, dont bother with anything other than VALEO.
LUK are ok if you're really stuck, although I wouldn't fit one to my cars or a customers.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Or are you planning to lift the engine out?
Yup...thinking that it will be a lot easier to do everything at once, with the lump out! I don't fancy doing the octopus with engine fitted! :shock:
Also a good chance to have a look at everything normally hidden out of the way and give it a good clean. :wink:
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

docchevron1472 wrote: LUK are ok if you're really stuck, although I wouldn't fit one to my cars or a customers.
Damn ! Are they as bad as that ? I bought a clutch on ebay a while back, in an original Citroën box, but it's got LUK stamped on it somewhere.

I don't want to waste my time and put a crap clutch on my car :(
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I do, indeed, have an engine crane you can borow if you need to. Vanny has it at the moment but sing out if you need the use of it.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I fitted an LUK in the XM 3 years ago :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, LUK clutches are OK, but VALEO are better IMHO.
I dont like cars coming back with a problem that I was meant to fix. So I only fit VALEO, and I've never had one come back. EVER.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
M

Post by M »

Unipart in the TGD, £18 - and its new not a refinished example some of the ones you can buy are. - seemed well nailed together - it was a LUK that came out - very rusty, but had been ridden in its life too (wafer thin on one side). :shock:
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

I had another look at the clutch I bought, it's got LUK stamped on the diaphragm, but the friction pad is marked Valeo WTF?

The release bearing is SKF, so that should be OK. No centering tool , though :evil: .
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I used to work for Quinton Hazell; who manufacture clutches - what they did is stamp out the metal parts and buy in the friction material (from Valeo) and the release bearings from a variety of sources (including SKF). I would imagine that LuK do the same...

Incedentally, QH sell quite a few LuK clutches, reboxed in their own boxes. I.e. if it was a small runner and not worth tooling up for.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I'd be looking very closely at cheap clutches.
I can't speak for over there, but I know there's one place out here selling "remanufactured" clutches fairly cheaply which he described to me as "look like new; if nobody told you, you'd never tell the difference" but he reckons, so far he hasn't had any come back.
Kind of thing you might "score" on eBay perhaps?

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The two Xantia clutches I replaced recently "looked" absolutely fine, plenty of friction material left, the covers even looked silvery and clean, on visual inspection you would have refitted either of them, and they were both fubar, for a genuine citroen boxed item we paid £85 (GSF) and £70 (Lockwoods at the Northern meet, genuine Valeo for me please.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft