All the warnings are true !!

BX Tech talk
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

All the warnings are true !!

Post by simonineaston »

You gnarly experienced BX guys all know this, but I''ll repeat just in case there's any newbie out there who thinks it doesn't apply to him, or her...
Last week-end, I was working on the BX and had finished when it occurred to me to check something. The car had been on four axle stands when I was doing the job but when I decided to have a second look, I just used my hydraulic jack to lift the front offside corner of the car. Up went the car, and then, accompanied by a click and gurgle, the car quickly settled down on its hydraulics, leaving very little room underneath... if I'd been under it, I definitely wouldn't be typing this now !
So, if there's anyone out there who doesn't believe the warnings that you must take the time to raise the car properly, change your mind. :shock:
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: All the warnings are true !!

Post by Way2go »

simonineaston wrote:The car had been on four axle stands when I was doing the job
Dunno I'd like to risk that either, 2 Axle stands good :D 4 corners :?:

There is very little contact between car and stands and should one of the stands start to lean for any reason (settle on ground?) or someone leans on the car, the slip & consequences would be disastrous.

I may be wrong but I believe 2 tyres on the ground assures more stability.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Many years ago I was under the back of a Daimler Majestic (3.8 not 4.5V8) which was on wheel ramps when I heard a loud crack. I then heard another and decided I'd get out while I was still intact. We got the thing off the ramps - which were busy self destructing - as the welds broke.

So much for 2 tonne ramps - the whole thing weighed less than 2 and so the back was probably only 1 tonne or less.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I've told this before, but also for the benefit of newbies who may take a shortcut to safety -

My mate John once shimmied under my car while it was up in high but unsupported by axle stands. I had a go at him telling him how dangerous it was, but he did his "I've been fixing cars for 15 years" thing. Ten minutes later we were drinking a cup of tea away from the car when it dropped without warning, then rose, then dropped again and carried on about five times. Had John been under it he'd be dead. He still thinks I set it up somehow to prove a point.

The height correctors needed lubing and were fighting with each other.

Another point - whenever I put it up on axle stands (and I've had it up on 4 in the past) I get hold of the car and give it a really good shake to make sure it's stable. I'd rather bend up the subframe than have a tonne of car on my chest.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Scary stuff. If you look at a BX in low, makes you realise how little clearance they have. I can't even get my 3 tonne jack under a sill when the car is in low!
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I had a CX up on low ramps a few years back when in the process of fiddling around "something greasy" it suddenly dropped. Fortunately I still had my hand on it (no not THAT ya bloody fool!!) so gave it a flick in the opposite direction which reversed it and I slid out quickly from underneath, but I hit it just as I could feel the pressure on my chest; one more second and I reckon I was a gonner. I had obviously been hold of the lever to the height corrector.
After that, I am extremely fussy at the way a Cit is supported using 4 axle stands or a ramp and even usually throwing the spare somewhere under the car as a bit of extra insurance.
Amazing how a couple of knocks on heacans door wises you up. :shock:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, all good timely advice.
Dads car collapsed on me a few years back, I had it on two axle stands at the rear, the front was on the ground, but it still fell off the stands as I was doing the rear strut pipes. I was beefier back then, and the arse end of a BX isn't too heavy, I managed to lift the car off me and get out, but thesedays it would have killed me.
I dont take many chances anymore, one of my best friends at work was crushed to death under a bus, there was nothing any of us at the scene could do, it was already too late, and it really does focus the mind.

If in any doubt about your abilities or the stableness of the car DO NOT GET UNDER IT.
I'm not HSE minded, but in these circumstances it really is better to be safe, than dead.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

When ever I have my car up on a jack or axle stands it always has a wheel siting under it. Figure if it does drop I have enough clearance to yell out.

I miss my axle stand s from the old country the sets on the market over here (imported from the west island aka Alans place) are a racket affair and O hate them mainly because of the amount of times I nearly lost my fingers lowering them :x

Now I add a couple of good pairs of wood blocks, did try bricks but damn things crumbled :shock: as for ramps well have not found any I have confidence in yet. So far I have not had to spend any time under the BX.....yet.

Add to that I got to be careful not to stuff up being 50m from the fire station and know the volunteer response time. :wink:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If you're going to use ramps, tie an old seat belt to the top of them and lay it along the tracks you're going to drive on and down to the ground.
Being a FWD the car then pulls the ramps under it as you drive onto them rather than chases them away from you and it makes it real easy to drive up onto.
Another trick I've seen used is an old dressing table mirror mounted against a workshop wall so you can guide yourself onto the ramps.
The seatbelt idea I posted on Aussiefrogs a while back but it's been down for a couple of days, but as soon as I get access to it, I can post it if you like.

Alan S

[Edit] Here she is, back on the air at A/F.

By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Ramps, blocks of timber, axle stands, all good stuff, I never get under an unsupported vehicle, especially Citroens.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote:Scary stuff. If you look at a BX in low, makes you realise how little clearance they have. I can't even get my 3 tonne jack under a sill when the car is in low!
Remember Vera and the 2 Liter tin of Bitumen Under seal? And the subsequent "face of Christ" tar spill?

The BX, crushed a tin of under seal flat in seconds exploding its contents all over my drive, much to the pleasure of my wife... and I had been under it earlier with it in "high" :oops:
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Once had a four wheel drive four wheel steer telehoist hold up the back of a Ford 2030 tractor ( I think that was the model, bloody big 4 wheel drive, 12 furrow ploughing model). Tractor weighed in at around 4 ton. We were changing tyres in a hurry.

Took a step towards the Ford, power wrench in hand, ready to remove the wheeel, and....

Whole bloody lot collaped. Telehoist hydraulic pipe split, worst that happened to me was hot hydraulic oil over me. Minor burns and a bruised ego for being so bloody stupid. Smashed the rear of the Ford.

Hydraulics are fine if you don't trust your life to them.