Auto Box Problem

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Auto Box Problem

Post by kiwi »

A problem with an automatic gearbox!

The problem is it apparently changes up gear to fast? Now not sure exactly what that means but would could cause this and could it be fixed?

Question 2

Could a Autogearbox in a 19 be replaced with a manual ripped out (I mean carefully removed :) ) from a 16?

The fleet is growing btw :wink:
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Kiwi,

Depends what you mean. If it's changing gears too early (not getting up enough revs before the change) the kickdown cable is too loose. If it's changing too late (revving too much before the change) the kickdown cable is too tight.

The kickdown cable is also attached to the throttle butterfly at the same place as the accelerator cable, but it goes towards the battery and then down.

There is a bracket with two nuts on it holding the cable in place. This is where you adjust it.

There should be a small metal piece crimped to the cable just before it goes into the sheath to the transmission. There should be approximately 4mm between it and the screw fitting.

You can also adjust the cable to suit your preference. If you like it to rev more before it changes tighten the cable. If you like it to change low down and cruise up to speed then loosen it.

Beware though that one turn toosening or tightening makes a huge difference. It' very sensitive.

Tightening it you would screw the fitting outwards making the crimp further away from the end.

You are able to take a gearbox from a 16 and put it in a 19 but beware that the gearing is different so the 16box will make the 19 take of faster but lower it's top speed (marginally)
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

So basically its fixable? Yea been thinking of swapping the BX16 box into my 19 on day.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

THis is the Cit service manual for the BX auto.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Gearbox/

Also. living down this way that the local auto accessories shop/servo doesn't sell you Dexron 111 to put in it as the do over here and then they tell the story that the gearboxes will only last for 90 - 120,000 klms, but fail to mention this is with a dose of D111 instead of the Dexron 11 that ZF recommended.
If you have problems finding Dex11, buy Castrol Transmax M which is a D11 equivalent. Don't use Castrol Z as this is a D111 replacement.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.