Various bits and bobs - Mk 1 TRS Auto

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Various bits and bobs - Mk 1 TRS Auto

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just a few bits of help needed here and there! Various issues with the TRS...

1. Everything electrical works except that the sunroof only tilts, it doesn't slide back. It's pretty rusty (just the sunroof frame, not the roof of the car) and I think that's why; the rust is making it jam. Any clues as to where I might find a spare one? And are they a difficult job to fit - should I be trying this myself, or looking for professional help?

2. It doesn't run very well when cold. I'm assuming this is a problem with the automatic choke. Any guides on setting these things up properly?

3. I want to fit my trailblazer, but my drill's broken :( Does anyone who's coming to the National own a battery drill? Fancy bringing it along and making holes in my car?

4. The passenger-side headlamp is held together with tape. Anyone have a spare I could buy?

I think that's all for now :)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

1: does the sunroof slide if wound manually?
Roof's are not difficult to change, but having a few pairs of hands to guide the lining in and out is useful, it's a ba$tard of a job on your own..

2: Throw the autochoke in the bin and fit a manual choke.

3: I have a battery drill somewhere, but TBH I've not actually seen it since I moved house a year and a half ago! :shock:

4: I assume Mk1 and Mk2 headlamps are the same?? If so, remind me friday and I'll bring one along.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I'm thinking we ought to have a little workshop on the Sunday for things like this...

I think Mk1 and 11 headlamps are def the same. Do you mean the glass is held on with tape? Maybe you could clean it all up and re-glue it? I have a spare set, but I'd like to keep a spare set...

Re. autochoke: take the black box off the side of the carb and spray all the linkages with carb cleaner and then lube with Comma spray grease or 3-in-1 oil. Clean and lube the horizontal pull-down control rod at bottom left which enters the choke diaphragm chamber at the rear of the carb. Move it to-and-fro with some needle nose pliers to ensure it moves freely.

Mine was sticking, causing all kinds of trouble. Also check all the usual things: plugs, leads, dizzy cap, timing.

I wish we could have met up on Saturday - I would have been able to help check timing and whatnot...

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks Doc! I'll try the manual override on the sunroof when I get home and let you know.

My thought about the auto-choke was the same as yours - they were never really a good idea.

Mark, I was sorry to miss you too - the day got away from us what with all the dodgy dealings going on!

I very much like your idea for a little workshop on Sunday.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Great Idea, lets all bring out tools (no jokes please) and use each others know how to get any little jobs done that we have been putting off.

Im bringing a radiator and a spare carb for various people, and have a set of speedlines, wheelbolts from Doc and a subframe from Leroy to collect!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Shall i bring along my rear arm kits??? :D I'm only kidding unless somebody does actually want to do some sort of training session on how to do them.....
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Bring it all along! Even if worst comes to worst and we don't do it, you'll only have to take the bits home again... not the end of the world.

Doc: I tried to wind the sunroof back on the override and failed - BUT I didn't push too hard because the thing looks so delicate when you look at it. I didn't want to force it and break those nylon gears :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If I bring a 1.9TD engine and a hoist anybody fancy giving a hand swapping it over? :D :D :D
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

stuart_hedges wrote:Bring it all along! Even if worst comes to worst and we don't do it, you'll only have to take the bits home again... not the end of the world.

Doc: I tried to wind the sunroof back on the override and failed - BUT I didn't push too hard because the thing looks so delicate when you look at it. I didn't want to force it and break those nylon gears :shock:
Not a bad idea actually, if the weathers ok and theres some decent ground to jack cars up on, I guess some fettling would be in order..

Stuart, I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, but you know about releasing the drive bar before winding with the handle??

I'm guessing you do, in which case it sounds like the cables are probably seized / corroded / FUBAR.

I dont have a spare roof lining anymore, (it went into dads post burning) but if someone brings on along we could hoof one in!
Failing that, I'll have a look at the national.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Makes me think we should have a thread where people who are expecting to be able to pick up bits from other members at the show can post a gentle reminder. Also if anyone's bringing anything with a view to selling or donating, advertise the fact on the thread. I'll do it now...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've already done a thread about the 8 steel wheels with good tyres that are sat in my garage doing nowt.

I was wondering if i could exchange them to anyone who wanted to help fettling my car as way of payment & thanks???? Not sure if thats an idea of any use to anyone?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Dont need any steelies TBH Mulley, I'm an alloy man, but I'll gladly have a fiddle with your car when the health / time availability improves..

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sunroof info from Citroen manual - in a language other than English - but some helpful diagrams:

http://sitruuna.unk.fi/pub/korjausoppaa ... unroof.pdf