Diesel fuel sulphur levels

BX Tech talk
ScottFromNZ

Diesel fuel sulphur levels

Post by ScottFromNZ »

In New Zealand we are just in the process of lowering the sulphur in diesel fuel over a period of three years. This will enable us to get some of the latest technology diesel cars that have not been able to be imported here due to the relatively high sulphur levels in our diesel.
The change is causing problems in some diesel vehicles with leaking seals and injector pump failures due to different seal swell characteristics in the new fuel.
General opinion seems to be that older Japanese diesel pumps are more prone to this that the European stuff. My BX has a Bosch pump - no probs SO FAR.
I would be interested to know if there were any issues in UK when diesel sulphur levels were lowered particularly in regard to Pug/Cit diesel cars.
I imagine that you people went to low sulphur diesel quite a few years ago.
Scott

BX TZD Turbo
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Just a few claiming that it wasn't such a good lubricant and that their injection pumps wore out. Funny thing that everyone's didn't - so probably due to other reasons if it happened at all.

Jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Scott Allegedly Shell replaced a lot of fuel pumps when they launched their ULSD here a few years ago, a great secret, the story I heard was the jap motors were immune and it was european pumps that were failing, european diesel is 5-10% biodiesel to help lubricate the pumps, I would suggest that a litre or two of cooking oil per tankful might keep your pump safe. My kid brother moved to NZ last year, Palmerston North Island, are you neat there?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ScottFromNZ

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Hi Stewart. Interesting stuff. I am using an additive in my diesel which is claimed to lubricate the pump and clean the injectors.
I live in a city called Hamilton which is about 400 km's North of Palmerston North. I lived in P. North for 6 months in 1981 and I quite liked it.
Scott

BX TZD Turbo
ssray

Post by ssray »

i use a additive too it`s called rapeseed oil
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

At some point I am going to get to NZ, will let you know then I can bring luggage full of power steering racks and BX bits :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft