bx heater fan

BX Tech talk
c90cassette
Confirmed BX'er

bx heater fan

Post by c90cassette »

hi i know this is common prob but does anyone know why fan stays on low speed and wont switch off?thanks
hi i am rob in liverpool 1989 bx 17 dtr turbo
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Look at the heater mod above in the stickies... although this won't fix the problem, you will probably find a fault with the wiper on the white plastic knob on the PCB, a general instpection and clean up will probably sort it ... or maybe poor solder joints on the pcb or the control unit causing a similar issue, as these are common. I have a spare pcb if you need one.
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

With reference to the relevant Sticky:

I've seen no reference to the other type of circuit board, brand named CHAUSSON as opposed to the ELEDASA (Valeo) as pictured. Just wondering if it also has the same shortcoming as I've never heard the relay click when turning it to max? The pcb is in front of me but the circuits are not very clear, being covered by a protective white film of sorts .... hence unable provide a pic! This is off a K reg BX. Hope I haven't missed a previous posting asking the same thing :oops:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I think the CHAUSSONboard had the same defect, Although I've never looked at one to notice TBH.
I've got plenty of them knocking about so I'll have a look over the weekend mate.

If you'd rather have the more usual Valeo unit, I can provide you with one..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

docchevron1472 wrote:I think the CHAUSSONboard had the same defect, Although I've never looked at one to notice TBH.
I've got plenty of them knocking about so I'll have a look over the weekend mate.
BUMP .... Doc I happen to know your memory (or lack thereof) is only matched by Cavmad and myself!! :lol: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Oh aye, I'll bring a board back for you tomorrow, and I'll pop by for a coffee and bring it with!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

My K reg BX has never had its fan control pcb modified, but the relay clicks on when turned to max speed.

Perhaps the problem was fixed on the latest cars.

I don't know what make my control panel is, I have not needed to disassemble it yet.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Some Chausson boards had the fault. Few newer cars are free from it. Only early mk2 cars seem to work ok but there are many variants. If the fan will not turn off, then there is likely to be leakage through the transistor which is probably due to corrosion around the base contact wire. Remove the control unit , strip and clean. Replace. If you know how to test a transistor, do that.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

docchevron1472 wrote:Oh aye, I'll bring a board back for you tomorrow, and I'll pop by for a coffee and bring it with!
:lol: No board needed Doc, just wanted you to look at the Chausson board .... , anyhow I reckon Tom has answered that one 8)

Just modified the board (Elida) in my TZD and got a definite boost through the relay!! Replaced light bulbs while I was at it too :idea:

As for the coffee mate, you know where I live .... er exist :wink:

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ah, I know nothing about electrics mate, nothing at all. all powered by smoke I reckon..

Tom really is the man for all things wire realted, I'm not even a novice!

Aye I'll pop up sometime soon mate.

Oh, and thanks for the PM, let me sleep on it, and I'll see how much room I can gather in the barn! I'll PM you tomorrow for sure, just need to sort a couple of other things out before commiting to owt, or indeed being commited!