ABS Relay

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

ABS Relay

Post by ken newbold »

Can anyone tell me the location of the ABS relay.

I thought it was behind/above the glove box, have checked there and found one relay hanging loose but after changing this, still no ABS.

Also changed the 3 relays in the scuttle under the windscreen but still no ABS.

Did all the checks on the check sheet and the problems tell me it's the relay :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

OK so the location may depend on wether it's an 8v or a 16v. Trouble is this one is a TZD :(
They think it's all over, it is now!
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Ken, I think you may have found it, usually tucked up near the top of the dash. There maybe the ABS diode nearby. Looks like a giant push-fit electrical connector-black plastic. If there’s any slack on the cables, pull these units towards the clock tray, makes like easier next time.

ABS faults on BX,s can be a real task to locate, especially if all the sensor and circuit testing comes up ok.

Few points you may like to try – have a look at the cable connections on the main hydraulic valve block. Remove the multi-plug and close up the female contacts.
If the cable connecting to the plug floats around, fit the plug and then cable tie the harness in position. Found one BX where the ABS would kick-out, mainly on roundabouts, due to the excess cable moving the plug and intermittently showing a fault.
Wire brush the tone wheels to remove corrosion.

Testing the sensors :-

Normally, 9 times out of 10, it turns out to be a sensor. But which one ?? :x
If you can find a portable amp/Dictaphone type, (not 200 watts, will blow your ears off). Tom Shep came up with this idea some time ago and I’ve carried out a few mods.
If you make up an adaptor lead, any old ABS sensor cable socket and plug this into the normal mic input, the sensors emit an audible tone whilst running and you can immediately detect any intermittent sensor.
Maybe I should record the output, might make the Top Ten.

Found front ones, where the fault was in the engine bay, where they come through the wheel arch, Rear ones can break down due to corrosion within the socket.

Yet to remove an original rear one complete, just smash the bu—ers out.
Don’t hammer in any replacement sensors, as these can shatter very easily.