Another Tzi question re fuel

BX Tech talk
bigmarkbx

Another Tzi question re fuel

Post by bigmarkbx »

Has anyone tried running early Gti/Tzi on standard 95 octane unleaded {with the timing altered of course}?
I am assuming that an 88 tzi will run on super unleaded without modification? .I will be taking over the car shortly.
I do have a peugeot 309gti [i know i'm swearing]that runs well mostly on tesco 99 super-unleaded. but would like to save money on this by using 95 std unleaded. Thanks mark
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think all BX except the 16 valve will run on unleaded. The 8 valve GTi engine is actually quite low on compression (8.4:1) which helps.

I doubt if yours has a knock sensor - so changing graded won't confuse the electronics. (some will retard on hearing a knock and may take some persuasion to re-calibrate for better fuel. Persuasion is probably putting better fuel in and disconnecting the battery! - which makes it start calibration again)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

16v will run on unleaded but performs better with super plus.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

ANY petrol BX will run 95RON unleaded, so it'll be fine.

The 16v was designed to run leaded only. The seats are hard enough to cope with unleaded, unless it's used for racing, but as Tim said, the performance really suffers with 95RON. 98RON minimum for a valver..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

We run a TZi with DKZ engine on 95 octane and have done for a few years and it goes fine.
If it's run on 98 it makes little noticeable difference to the running, but go back to standard ULP and it plays up pretty badly; runs rough, loss of power and lousy fuel consumption.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Yes thats that was the highest grade of petrol in my part of New Zealand.

Recently had a mix of 91 in my TZS and the fuel consumption sucked on that tank full. Check your fuel consumption after you make the switch you may find that even though your paying more for Super you could be getting better mileage that offsets the cost.