Running on oil

BX Tech talk
Martyn
Confirmed BX'er

Running on oil

Post by Martyn »

I'm a little confused on the subject of using veg oil(used or virgin). I have what apeards to be a rotodiesel pump, can I put veg oil through it? Is there a simple way to turn waste oil into biodiesel? I have read up on the subject but there seems to be many conflicting methods. Martyn
1992 txd

1991 1.7 tzd
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

In short. No. Unless you get some shiny new seals for the pump, veg oil will murder it in minutes..
Sorry mate.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I know its saves money but it seems a heck of alot of mess and hassle, as much as I love fish and chips I wouldnt want my car to smell of it :D
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Stupid double post!
Last edited by tim leech on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It's fine with the right pump. Either strain the used oil and put it in or buy new. Must be pointed out that using new vege oil attracts the same rate of duty as diesel and must be declared and paid for.
It does stink, to high heaven as it goes, but the car will actually run better on it providing you have the right pump. Now you can use it free of charge with the latest govornment initiative.
Vauxhall apologist.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

How does a Lucas pump stand up to it ... anyone?

I've got 80l of uvo ready to be processed to biodiesel .... :roll:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

tim leech wrote:I know its saves money but it seems a heck of alot of mess and hassle, as much as I love fish and chips I wouldnt want my car to smell of it :D
Luckily it's not the interior that honks Tim, just the exhaust fumes :wink:
And ditto to your second post :lol: :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The problem is that the seals in the Lucas pump are soluble in vegetable oil. Replacements that are proof are available.

If you search you will find that the failure of the seals can take years. I have no direct experience.

Loads of info all over the place - many hours of fun searching!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

From what I understand the Rotodiesel pump uses the diesel for lubrication.

Thick vegetable oil is too viscous and can damage the head.
Over and out from me
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

cavmad wrote:It does stink, to high heaven as it goes,
I wouldn't phrase it quite like that... you know all about it when a chippy-fuelled car goes past but it's not an unpleasant smell.

It happened to me today - my nostrils flared and I looked around for the chip shop, only to find that my nose was following a fairly new Merc rolling along in slow traffic! A slightly confusing blend of imagery from nose and eyes.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Ian_Fearn wrote:From what I understand the Rotodiesel pump uses the diesel for lubrication. Thick vegetable oil is too viscous and can damage the head.
About the only Diesel injection pumps to NOT use their fuel for lubrication are mercedes-benz ones. Bosch pumps also use fuel for lubrication.

The issue with viscosity can be fixed by raising the temperature of the oil to "hot coolant" temperature, but you're then looking at the complexity of the twin-tank system, with heated fuel lines, separate returns, multi-port valves etc.etc.
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

Running with a 50/50 mix of Morrison's cheap o stuff (both!)

Smells a bit like someone is frying goats.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

DavidRutherford wrote:About the only Diesel injection pumps to NOT use their fuel for lubrication are mercedes-benz ones.
and of course GARDNER commersial diesels, but then the pump weighs nearly as much as a hole BX engine so......
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Ian_Fearn wrote:From what I understand the Rotodiesel pump uses the diesel for lubrication. Thick vegetable oil is too viscous and can damage the head.
About the only Diesel injection pumps to NOT use their fuel for lubrication are mercedes-benz ones. Bosch pumps also use fuel for lubrication.

The issue with viscosity can be fixed by raising the temperature of the oil to "hot coolant" temperature, but you're then looking at the complexity of the twin-tank system, with heated fuel lines, separate returns, multi-port valves etc.etc.
Interesting, but it just goes to show how much conflicting information there is on the net on the subject.

I consider my diesel to be dirt cheap to run anyway.....
Over and out from me
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Both my (Bosch pumped) Cits (Xsara and BX) run on an average mix of 50% sometimes more and sometimes less.........I'm never that anal about whether its time for diesel or Svo....never had a problem and now with the 2500L limit; that should cover all of the mileage even for the 'work' car. But lets face it, 53p a litre.......cheeeeeeeap!
Mike.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper