Gearbox refitting trouble

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Gearbox refitting trouble

Post by cauchoiskev »

Got it off no problem, but getting it back on is a pain. The diff keeps fouling on the subframe, preventing the bolt holes from aligning (this is a 19 diesel).

I've tried levering the engine forward, raising it etc, but to no avail (I'm working on my own, which probably doesn't help) . Anybody had this problem before ?
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Many thanks for the quick reply, Jon.

I'm not doing it on my back, I've improvised an "engine crane" with a steel bar from the front to the back of the engine bay and a rope slung over it.

I have tried raising the engine. I didn't undo the stud, as I just managed to get the box out with it still on, and apart from that it was tight as hell. Why oh why didn't they make that stud with a normal hex profile so you could get a spanner on it ? All the same, the stud doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the diff housing.

Should the reverse lever be above or below the anti-roll bar ? I just can't remember, and have no pics.

I'll have another go today anyway, with rested arms maybe it will go on...
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Well, it's in, and I'm one happy - if tired - bunny. It turned out that the friction disc was not quite centred - thanks again to the Citroën clutch kit with no centering tool. Once I had sorted that it went in quite easily.

I didn't bother to take the stud off, and it gave no trouble at all. In fact, I did the whole job with only the left side of the car lifted, and using a trolley to slide the gearbox out and in, so it can be done ! (I did have to take out the RH driveshaft completely).

Thanks again to Jonkw ! It helps a lot if you don't feel totally alone on these jobs.