Octopi?

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Octopi?

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi!
Browsing the GSF Catalogue for prices for a replacement Octopus, and I noticed the only one listed is described as...

N43406 BX WITH PAS OCTOPUS RETURN PIPE £28-30 + VAT

There appears to be no listing for a non-PAS version! :?

Will the PAS version octopus fit, and if so, what will I need to 'blank off'?

Cheers
Dave
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

They're also still available from Citroen main dealers - I paid about £25 + vat for one last autumn.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, all octopi are the same, regardless of PAS or not.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Thanks guys! :D

I'll get hold of one from GSF on Monday, then (hopefully) wrestle the eight-legged b*&tard into my car later in the week.

If I can remember, I'll try to take some "progress pics" as I swap octopi.....it might be of some help for future swappers! :wink:

Dave
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Dave, guess what? I've got a brand new one here, remind me on Sunday (tomorrow) if you're coming down.
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

:D :D :D :D :D

Just tried ringing ya, Billy! (0837).
Will give you another call at 0900 :wink:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

No probs Dave, have returned answerphone message and left you a pm. Leaving work shortly, back home about 09.15-ish.
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

When it comes to actually fitting the octopus (with engine out), is there any recommended order, or is it best to simply swap eack 'leg' in turn, until the whole thing is in place?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I just rip the whole thing out and fit new, but if you've never done one before then it's probably best to do it one pipe at a time really, better to be safe than messy!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Would I be best to replace mine when I get it repiped?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

If it's never been replaced then probably. They have a finite life and if it's original then it's probably at the end of it's life really...

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I know mine's got a small leak on the usual bend coming off the front HC, so I imagine the rest won't be in too good a state, judging by the number of "repairs" that had already been done to the front strut returns!!

When I've finished this week, the only thing remaining to do, should be to change all 4 front to rear pipes. I'm surprised how cheap these can be picked up from Cit main stealers too! Not exactly a doddle of a job, but certainly within my capabilities!! :shock: :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mountainmanUK wrote:Not exactly a doddle of a job
Worst bit is lowering the rear subframe but without doing this its impossible to thread the pipes through. :roll: How did I find this out? :oops:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

docchevron1472 wrote:If it's never been replaced then probably. They have a finite life and if it's original then it's probably at the end of it's life really...
For info & guidance, my GT's octopus was replaced at 15 years, the Operational Return pipe (height correctors & PAS; termed the 'mini-octopus' in a series of postings last year) at 21 years and the Brake Valve Return ( to the doseur, and more of a pig than it looks...) at 22 years. All return pipes still available at Citroen main dealers but you'll lose quite a few beer tokens...

The rubber (or whatever) in all the pipes looks the same when new so don't know why some die earlier.

I suppose the moral is, if your return pipes are over 15 years old, then change them or be prepared for a nice green puddle under the car at the most incovenient time and place...

Pedant alert - the plural of octopus is octopodes not octopi (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... ls?view=uk). Sorry :oops:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT