Octopi?

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Pedant alert - the plural of octopus is octopodes not octopi (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... ls?view=uk). Sorry
Q] If I cut it up, add a few nice veggies, shove it all in two pastry-covered dishes, what would I have?

A] Two Octo-PIES! :wink: :wink:
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

mountainmanUK wrote:
Pedant alert - the plural of octopus is octopodes not octopi (http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... ls?view=uk). Sorry
Q] If I cut it up, add a few nice veggies, shove it all in two pastry-covered dishes, what would I have?

A] Two Octo-PIES! :wink: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I wonder if that means that the singular of Antipodes (as in Australia & New Zealand) should, therefore, be.........ANTIPUS?? :wink:

Isn't English a wonderful language? :lol:
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

mountainmanUK wrote:I wonder if that means that the singular of Antipodes (as in Australia & New Zealand) should, therefore, be.........ANTIPUS??
Or dog? :roll:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:If it's never been replaced then probably. They have a finite life and if it's original then it's probably at the end of it's life really...
Well vounteered!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hey Tim!
Is it about time for you to get down 'n dirty with your cars yourself? :lol: Polishing and waxing is OK, but sometimes you really do need to get your hands grubby!! :lol:

I'm just about to give myself a lesson in octopus-swapping! If I can manage it at my age, I'm sure a young whipper-snapper such as yourself could do it!! :wink:

(Between you and me, if Doc wasn't so far away and busy up to his eyeballs...I'd probably be asking him myself, but wtf....I thought I'd give it a go!)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It's not that bad a job.

I'd sooner do the octopus than a clutch anyday. You just get mucky thats all.
They think it's all over, it is now!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

ken newbold wrote:It's not that bad a job.

I'd sooner do the octopus than a clutch anyday. You just get mucky thats all.
I'm doing both clutch, gearbox, and octopus, all toigether this week while I've got the lump out! Figured it would be best to get REALLY mucky all at one go! :shock: :wink:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ive come on leaps and bounds to what I used to be capable of, but know that when it comes to difficult jobs im best leave it to someone in the know, if I try it and mess it up then its even worse than admitting im not any good!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Engine and box out :o ???? ???? job then :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Ive come on leaps and bounds to what I used to be capable of, but know that when it comes to difficult jobs im best leave it to someone in the know, if I try it and mess it up then its even worse than admitting im not any good!
Don't see the logic in that Tim! :? It would be true if you had to take a resultant problem to a main dealer or other haughty mechanic. :cry: BUT you are in the fortunate position of knowing and having had hands on assistance from several forum members on your problems so surely it would be better to try yourself first and then enlist that help if you encounter difficulties that all the written advice can't solve. :D

Sometimes you have just gotta do it! Like when I had to recently change a front strut at the roadside on my own after a catastrophic hydraulic failure away from home. Wasn't fun owing to the time and logistic complications- but there was no alternative.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I would rather pay someone who knows what there doing to be honest, I live in a first floor apartment and have very little in teh line of tools and no ramps etc. If i get it wrong which is not uncommon I would have to get some one to fix it for me anyway!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:I would rather pay someone who knows what there doing to be honest, I live in a first floor apartment and have very little in teh line of tools and no ramps etc. If i get it wrong which is not uncommon I would have to get some one to fix it for me anyway!
Tim, you surprise me. :shock: For someone who loves cars which, let's face it, are challenging due to their age getting oily comes with the territory. Especially when, as a company car driver there is no everyday need to deal with (what was that term of yours?) "old snotters".
Tools, jacks and stands can be sourced and stored. I seem to find with each job on the BX there is always an additional tool or two needed to buy. :wink:
When you tackle the job and succeed, your confidence and ability will increase, if you have concerns on issues then the forum is still there as your 'safety net'.
Lack of space may be an issue but if so how do you work so extensively on the exteriors/interiors and have a 'naughty garage' to allocate cars to? :?
Go-on have a go - you know it makes sense - maybe not welding - but most mechancals & electricals. :wink: :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I think most of the harder jobs for non mechanical types like myself is just down to confidence & not wanting to actually cause any extra damage & actual cost.

Mind u, tonight i drained the oil, got that blasted filter off (cheers Tim, i was turning it the wrong way, doh!!!), put new oil in & filter & put a new drain plug washer on. Also sorted out the busted plug on the indicator by replacing it with a new one. Fitted a new headlight.

And to think less than a year ago, all i could do is top up the oil & very little else...still learning & hoping to get faster as i'm soooo slow....